cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT asserts my street cabinet is enabled for FTTC... PlusNet Computer says No

x47c
Grafter

Re: BT asserts my street cabinet is enabled for FTTC... PlusNet Computer says No

This is because the VDSL equipment located in the fibre box would interfere electronically with the existing ADSL2 equipment in the exchange due to their close proximity.
So a fibre box/equipment cannot be located in the immediate vicinity of an exchange.
So those lines which go back direct to the exchange (EO lines) and not via a PCP street cabinet cannot have FTTC.
Around 11% of BT lines are EO lines.
There is no technical solution to this one at present............well there are two obvious ones if price/cost was not a factor and money grew on trees.
1. Move everyone compulsorily on the exchange off ADSL/ADSL2+ and on to VDSL -so there would be no ADSL equipment in the exchange to be interfered with.
2 Put in FTTP direct to those houses for those on EO lines.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: BT asserts my street cabinet is enabled for FTTC... PlusNet Computer says No

Quote from: avatastic
I'd not have thought so. FTTP will require pulling fibre from the exchange to the premesis.

Actually, FTTP will go the CABs first and then go fibre from there.
avatastic
Grafter

Cheers for the clarification Gb.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
fishrow
Grafter

Quote from: avatastic

I'd not have thought so. FTTP will require pulling fibre from the exchange to the premesis. FTTC (as you probably know) works by reducing the amount of copper used by the dsl to the stuff between you and the cab by replacing the copper between the exchange and the cab.

Yes, I didn't elaborate but my thinking was that the duct to the cabinet won't actually be straight and a "pulling procedure" that put FO in to replace the copper,  might be used to premises. Of course there would be big "depends", biggest probably being - 'sure we can,  at £xx per metre plus x blokes at £xx per hr'  Grin