Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT asserts my street cabinet is enabled for FTTC... PlusNet Computer says No

tstaddon
Rising Star

BT asserts my street cabinet is enabled for FTTC... PlusNet Computer says No

Hi,
Too lazy to walk round and find the cabinet numbers, so I used the December 2011 spreadsheet of BT cabinets which follows this convention:

SAU_ID Name Postcode SAU_NODE_ID Exchange Only Flag Percent Lines Uplift Phase Deployed FTTC or FTTP
MYGRF GARFORTH LS251** {MYGRF}{Pxx} 0 5% 3.06 5a Yes FTTC

to generate this map:
http://batchgeo.com/map/9479c39dd50c3199c1b8f81f3be21334
Within a 300 metre radius of my property, ALL the cabinets say FTTC and Phase 5a, and appear to be on {MYGRF}{P2} or {MYGRF}{P3}.
As it happens, I used to be on another cabinet connected to the same exchange, that cabinet was also Phase 5a, and I know 100% categorically bullet-proof they switched the FTTC on in that cabinet in the first week of September 2011 - in line with the Phase 5a schedule which was to complete in September 2011.
By the last week of September 2011 three people in my street, on that Phase 5a cabinet, had BT Infinity.
So I am a bit confused as to how come it is that I know I could get FTTC in my pokey little village outside of Garforth (one that had a really bad broadband connection until September 2011) but now I live right in town and can almost see the exact same BT exchange from the front gate, Computer Says No.
18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: BT asserts my street cabinet is enabled for FTTC... PlusNet Computer says No

....and what does this say http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
tstaddon
Rising Star

Re: BT asserts my street cabinet is enabled for FTTC... PlusNet Computer says No

Sorry, I edited the first post to get the formatting right...
Enabled for ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL MAX on that page. The BT Infinity 2 checker says this:
"Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support super-fast broadband."

That said it is doing a lookup by house number and postcode, not the phone line itself, so it's not going to be 100% accurate.
It's safe to say DACS isn't a factor otherwise I would've had problems getting ADSL. And the BT spreadsheet suggests to me that every cabinet that could conceivably be the one servicing this postcode is already FTTC-enabled, and that is why I'm confused.
Conclusion - every cabinet in a 300m radius of my property is already enabled for BT Infinity, and clearly I can already get broadband on it so I don't have DACS. But I can't get FTTC. Because Computer Says No.
Unless my home line already has a direct connection to the exchange instead of a street cabinet, what could be the problem?
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,
I have been unable to locate your account to get the details showing which specific CAB your line is assigned to.
Postcode checks are certainly recognised to not be accurate and the phone number will always be the most accurate.
It's also worth noting that if your line speed estimate for FTTC is below 5Mbps, even if your line is attached to a FTTC CAB, checkers will return not enabled.
tstaddon
Rising Star

Hi,
I had a question ID - 53892884 - for the house move. Order reference: OR0000001839372
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI tstaddon,
The BT availability checker shows no FTTC for your number. But judging by the estimated speeds you're likely to be very close to the exchange. In that case you may be directly connected to the exchange and not a cabinet, which would be why. I'm just up the road from my fibre enabled exchange and I'm one of only 3% in my postcode that can't get it for that reason.
Jojo Smiley
tstaddon
Rising Star

I might have to take a look then - but what an almighty PITA that'll be if true given there are three cabinets between my house and the exchange! Still, the exchange is only 400m away, so perhaps I'll harrass a BT Openreach engineer next time I'm up there!
fishrow
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
HI tstaddon,
The BT availability checker shows no FTTC for your number. But judging by the estimated speeds you're likely to be very close to the exchange. In that case you may be directly connected to the exchange and not a cabinet, which would be why. I'm just up the road from my fibre enabled exchange and I'm one of only 3% in my postcode that can't get it for that reason.
Jojo Smiley

May I jump in here and ask:
Would this direct connection allow for an FTTP setup then?
tstaddon
Rising Star

<rubs thighs and leers, all Vic Reeves like>
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: fishrow

My first thought, but sadly no Sad
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: fishrow

May I jump in here and ask:

I'd not have thought so. FTTP will require pulling fibre from the exchange to the premesis.
FTTC (as you probably know) works by reducing the amount of copper used by the dsl to the stuff between you and the cab by replacing the copper between the exchange and the cab.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
prichardson
Grafter

Checks for the number on your account show that your line is assigned via a CAB. However, it also appears to be the only CAB that is not in the current plans for FTTC.
I will drop you a PM with a few further details.
However, the result saying it is not available is accurate.
prichardson
Grafter

Sorry, need to revise my last response.
Your line does NOT go via a CAB, hence why it cannot have FTTC.
knowdice
Rising Star

If this is a connection direct from customer to exchange, is it not possible to have VDSL2 directly from the exchange?
prichardson
Grafter

Unfortunately not.
The ANFP (Access Network Frequency Plan) which governs licensing of signals transmitted down a BT access network (copper network) (there is one for Kingston in Hull as well, which is pretty much the same), refers to what types of signal can be generated, at what frequencies and at what power.
The latest document can be found on the following link, though it is pretty techie.
http://www.niccstandards.org.uk/files/current/ND1405v3.1.1.pdf
Quick run down to save some time, page 33 covers VDSL compliance. The VDSL2 sections does not explicit say it is not supported, however the technical aspects of the document do confirm that is it prohibited. The diagrams on page 8 help colour code which part of the ANFP (A, B, C or D) does apply. Direct exchange lines are in Green, so you have to consult ANFP Part D.
Page 9 confirms that VDSL cannot be deployed at a MDF (Main Distribution Frame) site. This means you cannot install the FTTC equipment that would normally be sat in a CAB, direct into the exchange.