cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT & PlusNet Speed test results Explanation please?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: BT & PlusNet Speed test results Explanation please?

Just to confirm that my line is capable of 1mb, I have been on the BT home page and did this check.

Broadband checker results
For Telephone Number 02392****** on Exchange WATERLOOVILLE
We've just tested your line and can confirm your line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband and we can confirm that you will be able to reach a maximum download speed of 1.0 Mbps (Megabits per second).
godsell4
Rising Star

Afraid the wording used there suggests you *shall* get 1Mb, in reality this an only an estimate and that you *may* get 1Mb ... it is better to say you will get *about* 1Mb.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

OK folks, I've had a PM from Shutter describing his phone wiring...
I won't post it here, but suffice it to say it's far from simple. The only important thing you didn't say was what type of master socket you have - old style or newer split-face NTE5A?
Shutter my honest opinion is that there is so much "stuff" in your phone wiring that almost anything could be going on without your knowledge. I honestly believe that it's almost pointless to try and improve your speed without starting there and (despite recent problems elsewhere) it's almost certainly the main cause of your speed variations.
If there's any way that you can try a test with your router in the master socket and absolutely everything else disconnected it would be really helpful.
If not I think you will just have to live with what you've got, which is a shame as I reckon you could probably get nearer 2mbps.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
with all due respect, chilly, your response was not helpful.

Sorry Shutter  Embarrassed Just trying to point out the estimated speeds from the on-line checkers are not reliable, and are setting your hopes too high.

Chilly
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: chillypenguin
Just trying to point out the estimated speeds from the on-line checkers are not reliable

You can say that again.  Crazy
I recently sorted out the phone wiring of a friend (Shutter note this, it's very relevant to you!) who was "only" getting 2mbps and a "prediction" of 3mbps. He's now running happily and stably at a maximum 8128/448kbps. Roll_eyes
nadger
Rising Star

In shutter's case I'd have a look at whether ring wire is still connected - my IP profile jumped from 3500kbps to 6000kbps when I disconnected it.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK.
Thanks to HPsauce, your advice has been very enlightening, and helpful.... I shall investigate the faceplate as soon as practiable (when the coast is clear!)
Thanks to others,too,  I`m not too concerned about getting better than 1mb, just that after reporting a fault, the speed returned to what I had before, and then dropped back to less than 750 within a couple of hours...
Which was the main theme of my original post... !
As HPsauce says, my wiring layout is not the simplest, but is what is practicable, and there is only slight changes that can be made.

@HPsauce.... nadger suggests (presumably) disconnecting the "ring" wire..... can I do this on my wiring layout? (and still have the phone ringing in my left ear?  {socket 6}  )
HPsauce
Pro

OK. Here we go.
First - ring wire. Forget it for now. Not easy with your setup and hopefully will be irrelevant.
Second. What type of master socket have you got? Look here: http://www.buzzhost.co.uk/nte5.php
Finally. A test at your master socket is needed. BT speed test in detail and SNRM/attenuation/sync figures.
To do the master test will be easy for you provided you can move stuff to get to the master socket.  Cheesy
1. Unplug the router and take it (with filter) to the master socket. Maybe a power extension lead too?
2. Unplug phone extension and connect router. Turn it on.
3. Connect to router via wireless from laptop. Run tests.
shutter
Community Veteran

Unfortunately, I am not able to do the "master socket" test very easily,  it is hidden underneath a bed in the small front bedroom!.. (will have to get planning permission from her indooors to move the furniture) Roll_eyes
Am busy tonight, but around on the forum, and tomorrow and Sunday, will be "gadding about" most of the day....(enjoying myself.... Roll_eyes )
So will have to leave any "minor adjustments" until Monday at earliest.... Will come back to this thread, and report when I have gained access ! Undecided Cheesy
Thanks for all your input guys..... much appreciated.
HPsauce
Pro

{socket 6} 

Says it all really  Crazy
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: HPsauce
{socket 6}

Says it all really  Crazy
Yep - I winced when I read that Undecided
HPsauce
Pro

Shutter, just to explain a bit more during the "interregnum", the aim is to try and separate your phone and broadband signals at the master socket. But we do need to test to make sure that is worthwhile, though I'm almost 100% certain it will be.  Grin
In addition it is then desirable to:
a) Make the cable to the router as short as reasonably possible.
b) Minimize phone extension cabling, even after the filter.
c) Maybe double-filter as you have a DECT phone.
d) Disconnect the ring wire if relevant/possible.
Finally (and don't take this the wrong way as you wouldn't have known) I need to say that the main cause of all your problems is almost certainly your phone wiring. It's the "elephant in the room" :D. The recent issues with BT were likely to be "the straw that broke the camels back" and all that happened is that a different straw has been put back in a different place and is incorrectly getting the blame for ongoing difficulties.
MickKi
Grafter

Yesterday we had a thunderstorm over here and along with lightning got a power cut to top it all up.  If there were a similar occurence at the OP location I wouldn't be surprised that a resync ended up at a lower speed than before and this would explain the question in the original post.  Of course, as it has already been mentioned it is all the surplus telephone wiring that one should start sorting out first.
Hope this helps.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Just to say shutter, that my parent attenuation is the same as yours, except that their SNR with a modem was 4dB, when moved to a router at the master socket, it only went up to 9dB, so I had them moved to a fixed 1Mb connection.  Reason I say this is that with your SNR of over 14dB, I feel sure you should get a good 2Mb on MAX.  I do hope your phone tinkerings work. I used to use a crappy phone extension to the upstairs to my router, and with an attn on 41dB, only really got stable syncs of approx 3000-3500. Now I have a filtered faceplate, and Cat5E cable to the attic, and sync reliably in the 5Mb profile range with no issues at all. Just hope this is helpful Wink
HPsauce
Pro

Well put Penfold.  Wink
If you look back you'll see that I also said he could potentially get around 2mbps, but I think stability is his priority.