cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Youview box and plusnet broadband

Dabbler

BT Youview box and plusnet broadband

It's time to replace my old freeview PVR and I thought I'll get on ebay a new BT Youview box T2110 as they are much cheaper than in retail. On non-BT broadband they are supposed to work as regular retail Youview boxes with 7 day catchup. Does anyone use BT youview box on plusnet? Are there any IPTV channels provided by plusnet and would they be picked up by BT box?
7 REPLIES 7
AndyH
Grafter

Re: BT Youview box and plusnet broadband

Plusnet are still trialling Youview so nothing is offered by them at the moment. I would wait a couple of months as I expect Plusnet to offer a Youview service with subsidised boxes.
Dabbler

Will plusnet TV be available only for fibre customers? My cabinet is not enabled for fibre and according to BT won't be in the near future.
AndyH
Grafter

I'm not sure if it will be available. To get the extra channels with BT (non-Freeview channels), you need Infinity.
Where do you live? Which cabinet? Have you spoken to your local council's superfast broadband team to see if they can give you any further info?
Dabbler

Recently all nearby cabinets have been enabled. Dont remember the site I was checking, but it was showing that there are no immediate plans to upgrade this cabinet. Didn't know I can contact council about it. I can see Manchester council has grant offer aimed at firms, but nothing for residents.
BT wholesale site shows the following for my number:
Telephone Number xxx on Exchange GATLEY is served by Cabinet 46
Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
AndyH
Grafter

http://www.get-digital-faster.info/check-availability It says from Spring 2015 to Winter 2015. There are some contact details on there.
It might be worth waiting to see what Plusnet do with Youview as I would expect similar pricing to BT. The only downside is going to be that the 'extra' channels will be for fibre only customers.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I (oddly) happen to have both an early (from the first trial by Youview themselves) and a later BT-branded Youview boxes, on PlusNet ASDSL, not FTTC. Didn't pay for either.  Wink
No effective difference, apart from minor points on the remotes, and nothing above a standard freeview PVR really apart from a slightly better selection of catch-up services (over t'internet) such as iPlayer.
Dabbler

Thanks for all the replies and useful info. I think I'll wait couple of months to see what plusnet will do about tv.