cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Wholesale database - problems for new addresses

jwsg
Rising Star

BT Wholesale database - problems for new addresses

Is there any way to request additions and corrections to the BT Wholesale database that is queried when signing up for a new connection with a provider (e.g. PlusNet or whoever)?
New build postcodes don't appear at all and even if the order is accepted the lack of a speed estimate can cause the order to default to ADSL1 (requiring chasing to re-provision as ADSL2+) as I have just found out.
Furthermore, in my case the database is still incorrect even after the phone and broadband have been activated. It still does not return sensible results for a phone number or address search but does for others in the same street - including, ironically, many not yet even built.
PlusNet say they have no process available to them and it is automatic based on Royal Mail. This is credible for an address record to be created in the first place but not for having incomplete technical data held within.
So can this be corrected to avoid future problems?
8 REPLIES 8
Razer
Grafter

Re: BT Wholesale database - problems for new addresses

Quote from: jwsg
PlusNet say they have no process available to them and it is automatic based on Royal Mail. This is credible for an address record to be created in the first place but not for having incomplete technical data held within.

I believe that RM sell their database on discs, for a very large amount of money (like OS sell their maps database). Those discs would only be released/produced as, say Database V.1.0, V1.0.1 etc. And each costing as much as the previous. Most companies I think will buy a database at great cost and so would be reticent to shell out another vast amount of money for the next update too quickly. I have no idea if there is some arrangement with RM when updates only can be purchased at a lesser price, but even so I would bet that even such updates would still be very costly, and so companies would still be reticent to fork out too soon.
jwsg
Rising Star

It may well be that Royal Mail sell their address database  to 3rd parties and perhaps BTW do too, but my question refers to the data that is accessed by phone / BB providers when you visit a website to sign up for a new account or wish to upgrade it or migrate away etc.
Regardless of whether it's a live connection or they receive a CD in the post changes (and errors) in the database reflect very quickly in what we see on plus.net or bt.com
This data is also what you can see direct at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html availability checker.
So this thread is nothing to do with buying bulk address data, I'm asking if anyone knows how BT Wholesale get new addresses onto their database and then generate and most importantly correct their line-speed data.
Just like BT Openreach you and I don't deal directly with them  but PliusNet are also pleading ignorance.
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I had no end of trouble with the postcode checker when signing up with Plusnet (although they're not the only culprit). Having talked to a Royal Mail systems representative, it seems that some third-party postcode checking software has problems with addresses containing more than one 'street' line, e.g. "2 Nowhere Place, Nowhere Hill", and garbles it - in my own case the Plusnet system insisted that I lived at "Nowhere Hill, 2 Nowhere Hill". Royal Mail stated that they aren't responsible for what happens to the data after it's sold to other parties, who can and do mess it up. Really annoying when a system insists that your address doesn't exist, even when you live there! I suspect Plusnet's problem may be that they rely on the BT postcode checker for new sign-ups. Still needs some attention though, whoever is responsible.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: NorthPole
Really annoying when a system insists that your address doesn't exist ...

Try being told your name isn't valid, then see how you feel!
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

Like being told when you give your surname 'That's an unusual name' - to which the only possible answer is 'Oh, I'm used to it by now'.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@jwsg
We've raised your address mismatch in an attempt to get this changed. We should hear something back in the next few days
@NorthPole
Happy yo try and do the same with yours if you like?
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

Chris,
Thanks, but after a titanic struggle I got 'the system' to accept my address in its correct form during sign-up (I was thrown back to the start again at least three times after making changes) - you can see it now appears correctly in my account details. My point was that there does seem to be a mismatch between the Plusnet/BT postcode checker and Royal Mail - I was only raising the issue for the benefit of other potential customers.
jwsg
Rising Star

Thanks to all Support team involved - the details seem more sensible now - it's much easier to see what is available on my line on BT website and others..
Also upload cap removed (after correcting ADSL1 to ADSL2+) and ping improved at the same time.
However, there were quite a few tickets, calls, and posts to get here though (all because the postcode wasn't recognised for a new line for a new build house).
Overall, posting here gives the best results with the least effort compared with raising tickets or phoning in. The wait time for calls now seems longer once you recognised as a PN customer on a PN line!