cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Vision

stordoff
Dabbler

BT Vision

Any updates on the BT Vision situation? I hear that it was planned for 2007 and then put back. It's basically the only thing I lost when I moved from BT.
I was told before I switched to PlusNet that BT Vision should work, but without the streaming function. I can confirm that it does not. (cannot schedule recordings, reboot give un-recoverable C02 error.) Just thought I'd let people know if they in the same situation.
BTW, this isn't a complaint about saying it should work. No definate answer was given and I do not expect customer support to be fully versed in products from other ISPs. Just letting people know my experience and requesting an update.

Finally, good service up to now!  Cool
9 REPLIES 9
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: BT Vision

The "PlusNet's Plans for 2009" post on the Community home page suggests that nothing will happen this year
Changing our hardware and adding TR-069
Last year we intended to make BT Vision and BT Fusion services available to our customers by opening up the BT Home Hub to work on the PlusNet network. This has proved harder than we thought and has taken a back seat while we focused our efforts on Broadband Your Way. We’re still looking at ways to provide BT Home Hubs later this year. Once we have, we can look at BT Vision and BT Fusion but we’re unlikely now to launch those services in 2008.

Shame, I'd love BT Vision as well (although not enough to leave PlusNet) !
Bob
Neil_A
Grafter

Hi there,
We'd love to have BT Vision too Smiley
There are a couple of things stopping us. Firstly BT Vision currently only works with the BT Home Hub. Which we don't have.
Secondly (and this is the biggest issue) the service has been designed and built to be sold only by BT. It's not designed for other ISPs to use. So there are some specific issues around authentication, setup, config and distribution that mean it is locked to the BT network and systems. Unpicking this is difficult and costly for BT to do - much more so than first realised.
So as we've said in the 'Plans for 08/09' post it's kind of on hold at the moment until we figure out how to get the Home Hub or some other device that makes this all a bit smoother for customers.
stordoff
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks Neil, I appriciate that it was designed only for BT. I was not concerned about on Demend etc., just the ability to use it as a freeview recorder. BT did say an update was due in 2007 to allow it be to be used without an internet connction, but that never happened.  Sad
Oh well, a new one isn't too expensive these days, and the move to PlusNet definitely brought other advantages.
Regarding the home hub, I used my Vision box without it, using a WRT54G as my router. On demand, recording etc. all worked fine.
henbane
Grafter

Please don't forget BT Vision and the Home Hub for PlusNet. Its been on hold for years now (2007,08,09) and although I love PlusNet I have been looking forward to the addition of these other services since they were promised.
mitchell20
Grafter

Things might change later this year anyway as it's fairly well documented on the net that Sky are launching a VOD service later this year using existing Sky HD boxes.  It only requires a software update on the box and the user to connect their HD box to their router via the ethernet socket that's already on every HD box.
godsell4
Rising Star

Do a search for Project Canvas, these boxes should become available this year too.
I the meantime, lookup something called Boxee if you really want to do IPTV. But services like Lovefilm are very cost effective too.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
TBH I haven't heard of much movement on the Vision side of things, but I'll ask the guys in marketing/products if they have any news.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Having just seen BT's announcement regarding carrying Sky Sports I would be very interested in a viable alternative to Sky's exhorbitant charges. Is anything likely to happen anytime soon regarding plusnet adopting BT's Vision system?
Can't get cable here in the stix so it's either freeview or Sky Cry
henleyandbrown

I would be interested in this as well. I thinks Sky's charges are exhorbitant but I love watching Rugby. I could continue to do that at what I regard as a more realistic price through BT Vision. The downside is that it currently means swapping to BT Broadband as well and I am quite happy with PlusNet.
Are PlusNet still working on this or has it been dropped ?