Grafter

Re: BT Speedtester - is it broken?

definitely not cured for me  Win 7 with thompson router
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

OK, I've been through all of your accounts now and can conclude that the misreporting of the IP Profile seems to be 'fixed', with a couple of notable exceptions. First is your circuit Jim. You've had an IP Profile of 3000Kbps each time you've run the speedtester yet it's returning the rather odd value of 3291Kbps Huh
Second is you Mad Moggies, your IP profile was 7150Kbps when you ran that test but it's reported as 8000kbps. Perhaps delayed propagation between the various systems in use?
Everybody elses IP Profile on the Wholesale systems, matches that from their speedtest results.
A few of you have throughout speeds above that of the IP Profile but only marginally, and according to Jaggies that used to happen before these problems started anyway.
@pierre_pierre, your throughout speed is low but other than that everything else is fine. Perhaps something local to your set up that the speedtester doesn't like? There's a member of staff here with a similar problem but I'm inclined to think that it's not widespread at the moment based on feedback from everybody else.
I'll feedback to BT but as far as I can tell things are back to their usual quirky self Wink
Edit: Almost forgot....
Quote from: pittdj
Oh dear! There I am thinking that the BT Speedtester is reporting a wrong value for the IP profile of 7150kb/s when I would be expecting, and had, 8000kb/s, as expected for a stable sync of 9363kb/s. Now I see that the Plusnet IP has dropped from 8000kb/s to mirror the BT value of 7150kb/s. The actual throughput remains unaltered at 6500kb/s on mybroadbandspeed. (BT's speedtester fell over at the upload test, after reporting the profile.) The CSC guy I spoke to by telephone on Monday expected the BT value to rise to 8000kb/s within two days.
Is the BT Speedtester really broken and if it is why is Plusnet's system responding to it?

Your IP Profile has fluctuated quite a lot and our systems take time to update to reflect that. See the spreadsheet here which shows the true values from the back-end systems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
......... Mad Moggies, your IP profile was 7150Kbps when you ran that test but it's reported as 8000kbps. Perhaps delayed propagation between the various systems in use?

IP profile was still showing on PN stable rate page as 8000 when last BT speedtest gave 8000, so I must have caught it just before it went down to 7150 ....... or else it was still cached as 8000 somewhere.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
pittdj
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Your IP Profile has fluctuated quite a lot and our systems take time to update to reflect that.

Thanks for the spreadsheet, the profile values in that make sense, the snag is that some of the sync values do not appear to match the values my router, a Linksys WAG160N, was reporting.
Just in case the Linksys is telling porkies I have put back my older Voyager which has synced at a faster rate, the Linksys was synced at 9147kb/s noise margin 7.0dB, the Voyager manages 9642kb/s at 5.9dB. I shall wait for three days in hopeful anticipation while profiles catch up.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My setup is is not normal, I am on a SamKnows/Ofcom monitor setup
A) main router is PN/Thompson giving WiFi to a Win 7 PC plus two other netbooks at odd times
B) Sam is via ethernet to a linksys modified router, all other Ether net links come off this linksysy, not the Thompson
as shown on my posting both Myspeed snd SmKnows are giving approx 11000 downlopad speeds, but the BT test is showing less than 8000
I normally only have the main Win 7 on plus the Sam router (24/7) when doing the check
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Bob,
I don't think the odd IP profile results are to do with the speedtester directly as I have an ongoing problem with IP profile updating - see the tickets on my account
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Definitely broken!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

That's another issue entirely Jeremy and one I'm yet to raise with BT. I didn't want to confuse things when I raised the IP Profile issue with them.
One thing at a time... Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Oldjim
Resting Legend

I get that frequently but can usually get it to work eventually
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It did work OK but it's gone wahoonie-shaped again...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

woops didnt mean to post
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Definitely broke now - tried with telephone number and Service ID
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Working OK again here.
pittdj
Grafter

A "wahoonie-shaped" result here :-
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6231 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9660 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1119 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1750 Kbps
During the course of the day a variety of profiles have been reported, 6500, 21000, 7150 and now 1750.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Just tried and got 'correct' results from the www. address:
www. address started 21.44
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6687 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8835 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1163 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 18.35:23.02:58.63 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 954 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1163 Kbps

Then tried the non-www. address which reported the correct downstream IP profile but then got the usual error message - Note: An Upstream test was not conducted on this line due to a technical issue. If your concern is related to upstream performance then please retry
the performance test again in 1 hours time.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both