cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtest problem

mgwilliam
Grafter

BT Speedtest problem

I have installed a new Netgear modem today and all is working well except that I cannot carry out a BT speedtest. Following input of username@plusdsl.net I get this response:
"The login name entered on this tool does not match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP."
I have tried 4 times through the day and have also rebooted. Problem persists.
Is the problem likely to be at Plus Net or with me?
Mike
21 REPLIES 21
James
Grafter

Re: BT Speedtest problem

hi Mike,
In honesty it's probably a problem with the BT Speedtester.  I'd keep on trying at different times of the day and see if you make any progress.  A change in hardware should make no difference to being able to use their speedtesting tool.
mgwilliam
Grafter

Hi James,
Will do.
Also hoping that this modem will overcome the problem of losing link during the evenings!
Cheers
Mike
James
Grafter

Hi Mike,
That's you and me both Smiley
mgwilliam
Grafter

Hi James,
BT Speedtest problem persists. Have tried a few times since last note including twice this morning using different computers. Same answer each time.
One positive note - the Netgear modem is working well. Sync rate dropped twice yesterday evening but the modem reconnected without any problems and at higher rates than the Belkin did.
Cheers
Mike
James
Grafter

Hi Mike,
It is sounding rather like the reconnection issue was one with the Belkin equipment.  I'm not entirely sure why the problems you are having with the BT Speedtester are happening, but it is somewhat problematic for many people, including myself!
mgwilliam
Grafter

Hi James,
Just tried BT Speedtest again using the Belkin and SUCCESS!! So you can now relax!!
I must conclude that the Netgear DG834G modem settings need looking at despite the fact I used the default.
Has anyone experienced the same problem and/or have any ideas please?
Mike
James
Grafter

Very, very strange.
Given the number of customers that we have using Netgear kit, let alone across the industry as a whole, I would have expected this to have been picked up in the past.
Oddness.
pcoventry76
Grafter

I've had it too - it's the router they give away on sky - it never worked with BT's speedtester
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of preeding post - it is not needed and is a breach of the link:rules
donj53
Grafter

Same problem with a Zyxel router.
agamemnon

Have just tried the BT speedtester for the first time - and had the same response, i.e. a claimed mismatch between my phone number and my ISP username. Checked both - tried again -same reply. Am using a Linksys WAG54G router, BTW.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Worked with me before using a WAG54G. Just testing it now to see if it works again...
*Few minutes go past*
Works fine on the WAG54G.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I tried several days ago and it claimed that my ip address did not match my phone number!
Appears to be OK now.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Cerberos
Rising Star

I have been trying to use BT speedtest since the weekend and get the same error message everytime.
The IP address discovered on the network associated with your telephone number:**********, did not match the one we have logged from this browser/connection

I am using a BT 1800HG ADSL modem (made by 2 Wire)
I have re-booted it a few times because I had speed issues over the weekend but BT speedtest always comes back with the same error.
Still not working ar 06:30 this morning, but my speed issues have gone away.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I raised the ip address / phone number mismatch as a ticket.
Unfortunately, it seemed to be dealt with my PlusNet trainees [eg are you sure that phone number on the screen shot is yours]...
It was then dealt with - much more rapidly by a more experienced support person who suggested that it was very likely a fault in the BT speedtester.
BTW I've no complaint on PlusNet allocating a low-priority issue with a working internet connection to an inexperienced staff - everyone's got to learn somehow.
I retried the speedtester - without rebooting the router at all - and it worked I can only suggest that you try it out of hours - eg midnight or something.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."