cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speed Tester problems

esseff
Grafter

BT Speed Tester problems

I've tried running the test several times now, from the morning to just now. Each time I do, after entering my phone number, I get this:
"Test Error
The performance tester is unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however, if this problem persists contact your ISP"

Any idea what's going on as it's been like this all day?
20 REPLIES 20
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: BT Speed Tester problems

I tried it last night and got the same response...no idea.
Edit: ...and just now....same Roll_eyes
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
The_10th
Grafter

Same here  Angry and I do have a speed problem. Wish cable was in my area.
How can anyone have confidence in BT when the speedtester even states:
LATEST: No known system problems at the current time.

...when clearly there is!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You're not assuming that it picks up that status from somewhere are you? Everyone knows it's hard coded in. Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mapletree
Grafter

It's like when you phone BT and they always have a recorded message saying that they are unusually busy and you will be placed in a (long) queue  Wink
The BT speedtester IME is often not working.  If you want to measure the actual speed it's better to use the mybroadbandspeed one IMHO.  I only use the BT one to find out my IP profile.
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: mapletree
... I only use the BT one to find out my IP profile.

That's exactly what I am trying to find out after my profile mysteriously dropped.
esseff
Grafter

Apart from the IP profile shown by PN, is there any other way to independently test what it is?
esseff
Grafter

Does anyone from PN have any word on what's happening here?
The_10th
Grafter

I tried last night and managed to get a result confirming my profile is 2500 at the exchange. Been like this for 2 days sinced I sync'd at my normal 8128kbps rate.
esseff
Grafter

Interesting. I tried earlier and it still wasn't working.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Same error message here. To add insult to injury, at the top of the page it says - "An error has occured!" [sicRoll_eyes
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Marky
Dabbler

Due to overwhelming demand (yeah, right) for up to 20Mb BT Total Broadband our broadband speed checker is currently unavailable. However if you leave us your details below, we will send an email out to you within the next few days confirming what speed you can get.

from the bt broadband website  Roll_eyes
ClaretMatt
Grafter

I only want to use it to find out my current IP profile.  Seems many others share this need.  Why don't BT just have a tool that tells you what you want to know, rather than a full speed test because I am unnecessarily adding load to the speed tester.
Or better yet, scrap IP profiling altogether.
Oh yeah, that would make sense which BT don't do.
mapletree
Grafter

Not working for me either right now (and all I want to check is the IP profile)  Sad
baldrick
Grafter

My story goes like this:
1. I report a random speed problem to PN (let's call it BT part 1)
2. PN come back to me and say that they can't do anything unless I log at least 3 tests using the BT Speedtester (BT part 2)
3. Speedtester reports no faults at the present but I may get an error message during evening peak times. I try it on Sunday morning.
4. Speedtester (BT part 2) reports an error message then say try again later. If it persists I should report it to my ISP, i.e. PN (BT part 1)
Has BT corporate ever considered going into politics? They appear to have a good understanding on how to keep people employed by sending them around in circles!
On a more serious note this is unacceptable service. If Speedtester is so bad why can't PN get something done about it? Meanwhile it appears that I am stuffed until I can get the Speedtester to work 3 times - should such a feat be possible.