Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speed Tester not working.?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: BT Speed Tester not working.?

Just tried a test and it was the fastest I've ever seen it run and report the result. Last night it came back with a heap of errors when sending the results to the server.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Yes it does seem lively today....I normally go in the kitchen and put the kettle on.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: mexicano
Hi JoJo,
I'm also having trouble using the BT Speedtest.net. I have been trying to use it for about a week at various times of the day. All I get is the revolving java circle at the top of the page where it should say Performance Tester. I am using Windows 7 with Firefox 13.0.1 with the latest Java update. I have even tried installing several previous older versions of java but still nothing.
I am attaching a copy of the top of the speedtest.net page to show you what i get.
Hope it helps.

I uninstalled Zonealarm firewall this morning and then downloaded a fresh version from filehippo.com and the BT Speedtest is now working for me. I'm not sure if that was the problem but I'm ok now.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My Kaspersky Internet Security has been known to 'interfere' with speed testing.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MK3Chris
Dabbler

For JoJo.  Hope this more info. helps.
I have now managed to do more test on 2 other computers.
My findings are that :-
The ADSL part of the Diagnostics choice works OK
The FTTC part of the Diagnostics choice runs but does NOT complete in full.
Firewall and AV software both on or both disabled makes no difference.
The error message in the original post occurs after the FTTC tests are completed.
The versions of Browser, Java, etc. would not appear to be relevant;
and the various comments added to this thread do not show the service used, 
i.e.  is it FTTC or is it copper based ADSL.
As both options are combined on the one button it is down to the testing software to differentiate with FTTC failing and ADSL working.
The alternative test for up to 24Mbps (Beta) works OK.
If anyone else provides test results will you please note whether  you are connected by FTTC or ADSL.
This could help to confirm that it is an FTTC only problem (or maybe not ?).
PGRGrandad
Grafter

Hi When I tried the BT Speedtester it runs fine up until it reaches 96% in the first test and then stops dead for a minute or two before the ERROR message appears.
Prior to when we had to click on an update box a couple of months ago it worked perfectly every time.
I just hope Im not asked for the info by customer support anytime soon. I do use Kaspersky KIS 2011 but that has never been a problem in the past.
Pete
Undecided
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Might be worth checking if Java is up to date first, if it is then maybe try with Kaspersky turned off just to run the test and see if that makes any difference?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've had it run and fail without any changes being made to my PC. It's just inherently unreliable.
anniesboy
Rising Star

To check which Java version go to here,
http://preview.tinyurl.com/bwe5m
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Not sure why you've posted a preview of a tiny URL when the destination is quite simple anyway: http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Several posters have made the point that it doesn't matter which browser or Java version etc. If the tester runs and then fails with an error it's not relalted to any of those things. It's either exchange related or more likely IMHO to be RAS/Speedtester site related. Plusnet could take a look to see which RAS/speedtester site they are connecting to.
I have never had to disable anything to get the speedtester to run, it does require the correct permissions for JavaRE in the Firewall, but if it runs in the first place you computer is ok. If after that it then gives errors, it's borked!
pennbank
Grafter

Wont work for me either,
perhaps it has to be something to do with the useless bandwidth speed test plusnet use on Connection settings (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/), its  been shown as faulty for months.
Wonder why plusnet do not use  the link to www.speedtest.net at least that works.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

mybroadbandspeed works fine, it just may give duff results if under heavy load. I used it a short while ago, gave me the correct results for my line. The BT speedtester is in no way connected to any other speedtester and is not bandwidth restricted.
Did you get the option to use the BT beta tester and did that run (not the same as the Diagnostic one though)?
PGRGrandad
Grafter

Hello again, I have checked which version of Java I have using the link that Jelv kindly listed and it tells me I have the latest for my version of Windows, so who knows what the problem might be, it's not a problem as long as I dont have any speed problems, my speed seems to be roughly the same depending on time of day and load on the system, so maybe BT or Plusnet will sort out the Tester. I'm very reluctant to turn off Kaspersky when I dont have other problems.
Thanks for all the advice, appreciated.
Pete
PGRGrandad
Grafter

OK, I took the bull by the horns and turned off Kaspersky, the BT speedtester ran through to 100% on the download, so nice one Matt, then on the Upload it showed 100% but then showed the ERROR message.
Beats me!! Computers, who needs 'em???  Wink
Thanks again.
Pete