cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speed Tester not working.?

MK3Chris
Dabbler

BT Speed Tester not working.?

Since last monday (9th) access to  http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ and selecting  FTTC Diagnostics has produced the following error message  :-
Test  Error
The system is currently busy.
Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
Test seems to run OK,  then I get Server is busy,  then a time out,  then the error message.
"however if this problem persists"  - - -   it has at several different times since Monday.,
" raise the issue with your service provider."  - - -   This is me raising the issue.  
Anyone else  ?
No problems.  I just wanted to check my profile on my nice new FTTC connection.
The working BT up to24 Mbps Beta tester option gives pings of around 40 ms.
www.speedtest.net  gives pings of sround 25 ms. with an occasional sub 20 ms.
Hence I am trying to understand the consistent difference.
39 REPLIES 39
MarkOsborne
Dabbler

Re: BT Speed Tester not working.?

I tried to use the BT speed checker several times last night around 10pm. Everytime it failed to complete the test. Must have tried 6 - 8 times
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@MK3Chris, neither the BT Beta nor speedtest.net are particularly reliable for checking pings.
I'd always use a ping command direct from a command prompt: 'ping bbc.co.uk' or 'ping ntp.plus.net'
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

For those that want the BT Speedtester Diagnostic, try it again at an off-peak time.
MK3Chris
Dabbler

@Anotherone.
Good suggestion but I had already tried that. 
It is now after midnight and I just have tried again.  Still getting the same error message result as before.
@walker23.  Thank you for the Ping suggestion, it worked a treat.
Only the profile reading needs checking now.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
Is anyone still having problems with this. Have you the latest version of Java? what speed test was it? What browsers etc. If anyone is still having problems can you give as much info as possible.
Thanks
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Just for info, I'm sure it won't even start if it's a browser/java issue. If it actually starts/runs and then returns an error it's borked. Whether or not it's exchange related I don't know.
JEB
Grafter

On my Windows 7 box for the past week or so it runs the download test fine but when it runs the upload test the progress bar goes up but zero data is uploaded.  When it gets to 100% it just stops and nothing else happens.
It works fine on my Ubuntu box though.  I don't know if a Java update stopped it working for me or if BT have changed and broken something.

James
Anotherone
Champion

I know some people have had problems with some of the Java 7 versions, also the version 32bit/64 has to match the browser not the OS.
It runs ok my end with jre-6u32.
MK3Chris
Dabbler

Hello Jojo.
Soldiers always said that it was when Kate Adie and a TV camera appeared that they realised that the battle was for real and serious.
Is Jojo the Plusnet equivalent of a now let the battle commence option ?
Meanwhile: info. as rquested.
ADSL & FTTC diagnostics is still NOT working as of 11:30 a.m.  The up to 24 Mbps (Beta) option is OK.
Tested with:  XP Pro SP3  and Java 6 update 33 
Browers are  Firefox 11.0  and Opera 12.00 (build 1467)
No other problems with either browwser.
@Anotherone.  I support / agree with the Java/Browser comment.
The tester runs for both the Downstream and the Upsteam options for test one.
At 100% following completion of  Upstream test1  --  the
"Testing please wait" message stays on screen with no response for nealy 2 minutes.
Then :  An error has ocurred.  The system is busy.
The message / result is identical with both the browsers and has been for me since last Monday.
mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi JoJo,
I'm also having trouble using the BT Speedtest.net. I have been trying to use it for about a week at various times of the day. All I get is the revolving java circle at the top of the page where it should say Performance Tester. I am using Windows 7 with Firefox 13.0.1 with the latest Java update. I have even tried installing several previous older versions of java but still nothing.
I am attaching a copy of the top of the speedtest.net page to show you what i get.
Hope it helps.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, ok guys keep the examples coming and I'll see if we can get this flagged to our suppliers Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Working fine:
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (32 bit)
IE9
Java Version 7 Update 5  (default installation for recently reinstalled Windows)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

This morning it's the same as two days ago - as the OP reports it runs the DL and UL test then hangs before giviing the "Error, system busy" message. Beta test works fine.
IE9, Java 6, update 33.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Worked fine and promptly for me this morning (Sunday) except insofar as the measured speed was only around 85% of the IP Profile.