cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speed Test vs My Broadband Speed Test Results

TJJ
Grafter

BT Speed Test vs My Broadband Speed Test Results

For the last couple of days I've noticed what I'd describe as stuttering performance, not massively slow, but enough to make me go to the speed check sites.
On Monday I got good results on My Broadband [>6000kbps] but a poor results on BT [~40kbps and ~150kbps - if I remember rightly - anyway, orders of magnitude lower]. Yesterday good again on MBST, but BT couldn't complete the test.
I assumed the BT site was faulty.
Checked speeds again today:
BT:
19:15
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1219 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
MBST:
Date                Download Speed            Upload Speed 
Today 19:16  5769 kbps (721kB/s)    382 kbps (47.8kB/s)
Why the difference. Is it a sign of a fault. Should I raise a ticket.
General surfing doesn't seem too bad, but a couple of pdf type downloads have been very slow and AVG update has taken a while.
Suggestions greatly appreciated. Anyone else with this phenomenon.
TJJ
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: BT Speed Test vs My Broadband Speed Test Results

It's not uncommon for throughput to show large variations at peak times, some of which could be down to contention at your exchange. The BT speedtester can sometimes be a bit iffy to run but doesn't normally give inaccurate results, and you can only run it once in any 3 hour period.
Try a few tests at off-peak times. You can run the MBST as often as you want (don't forget it's using up your Bandwidth).
There are speed restrictions on download sites at peak times.
HTH.
scootie
Grafter

due to the snow and increase in net work traffic the traffic managment speed cap rules are being adheard to very strictly so download sites ect are seing poor speeds at the moment at peak times. normaly on option 3 i will see greater speed than what is stated on the expected speeds page but the rules are being forced with an iron whip at the moment.
will get back to normal once the snows gone and people go back to work and the kids back at school
as for the bt speed tester from my point of view the thing is a compulsive lier. i all ways get my 2800-2900 throughput on my 3000kbps profile on all other speed test sites yet bt's will tell me iam only getting around 300kbps. i know which results i belive.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As long as you're not trusting speedtest.net which I've seen give speeds faster than sync! and ping times 5-10x slower than reality.
scootie
Grafter

main one i use is the mybroadband one but also use speednet and have sein the over sync speed result 1 or 2 times my self.
but on my 2500-3000 ip profile line speednet genraly is very reliable but bt speed test just dosent like my line i would say 8 out 10 tests come back as 3 figure results.