Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Performance Tester keeps failing

kingkobra
Grafter

BT Performance Tester keeps failing

Hi,
the last couple of weeks or so, every time I try a test on the BT speedtester, after entering phone number and clicking Go, it just comes back with an error:
'The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.'
Any ideas? It worked ok up till a couple of weeks ago.
21 REPLIES 21
coastergrotto
Grafter

Re: BT Performance Tester keeps failing

Never have any trouble running it, in fact have just this minute run the test.
kingkobra
Grafter

Can't see anything wrong with my setup. Everything looks ok, but just get that error everytime I run it.
Mand
Grafter

Re:BT Performance Tester keeps failing

Strange indeed. Have you tried a different browser?
kingkobra
Grafter

Tried IE and Chrome, but like I said, it worked ok a couple of weeks ago.
I think it either stopped working when I changed the firmware on my router, or when my Plusnet account got changed from Unlimited to Premium.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm. Could it be that Java needs an update? Just a thought.
jwhite
Grafter

I haven't been able to use the tester since moving to plusnet.  At first, I just got an unexplained error.  Now it tells me it's  "not able to find all the network details required" for my telephone number, so maybe the database entry got deleted.  If I enter another (known ADSL) number, it lets me through to the next step.  You could try that as a test.
LNNFN
Dabbler

Quote from: jwhite
...If I enter another (known ADSL) number, it lets me through to the next step.

Likewise...
Conclusive proof that BT Wholesale's systems aren't as good as they'd have the Public believe.
EDIT: My rant is in connection with this and the suggestion that a visit from BT Wholesale's SFI team at a cost of £144 + VAT will somehow resolve a BT Wholesale infrastructure issue. I found that suggestion extremely offensive.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi LNNFN,
You'll only be charged if the fault is with your equipment (i.e. router) or internal wiring. If it is a fault with the infrastructure you won't be charged.
Do you get the same issue with a different browser? I'm not sure what we can do as regards the phone number errors, I'll check with the faults team and post back.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you clarify who gets charged for the situation where NO FAULT FOUND ?
I understand and accept that in the situation where a fault is present then BT can either accept the cost of making a repair, or charge the customer if the fault is on the consumer side of the master socket.
The problem I have is that I have an open ticket where I have been experiencing extremely poor download speeds in the afternoons and evenings.
HOWEVER having done all the line tests, PN are saying because my BT speedtest results are (sometimes) equally poor that there must be a problem with the cable into my house, therefore I should accept an BT engineers visit.
I have many doubts as to whether there is ANYTHING wrong locally with my phone line -
1.) PN have said I don't have unexplained router disconnections.
2.) BT have reported that no faults found on a line check.
3.) BT have checked the exchange for VP congestion etc.
4.) My router stats are always good, and are the same whether speedtests are good or bad, and my IP profile has always been 7150Kbps.
5.) I have backup hardware and have swapped router, cables, filters, faceplate, disconnected phones, run everything of UPSs, and get the same results.
6.) If I stand outside my house I can see the cable from my house, across the road to the exchange, and it looks fine, and there is no correlation with changes in weather.
7.) The browsing and speedtest slowdowns are coincident with MANY other people posting similar observations on this forum.
8.) There is no noise or other problems with my telephone.
9.) Any change in performance tends to happen when PN change from PLAN A to B, or B to A, or force a gateway disconnection, etc.
10.) Is it going to be a hardware fault if I get near full speed (6850Kbps) at 06:00, and crippled performance (200Kbps) after 16:00, having eliminated any possible sources of electrical interference.
11.) Nothing unusual detected in WireShark monitoring.
12.) and finally, my intuition - as being an electronics and software engineer for 30 years, you get a feel for fault finding, and this does NOT feel like a local fault.
So for all these reasons I simply don't accept that an engineers visit is going to achieve anything, and I just don't have £144+VAT to gamble with if BT say it's not their problem !
I am currently of the view that I will just have to wait until PN Service Status is showing normal 'green' operation, then consider my options if the problems persist !.
Mand
Grafter

We get charged if there's no fault found. However we only pass on fault charges if it's clearly an issue within the customers control (like dodgy extension wiring, or the router being right next to something causing massive interference).
Sounds to me like you've been as thorough as you can be, and it's worth booking the engineer if the BT speedtest results are bad (these bypass our network).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mand, that will help considerably with my deliberations !
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just seen the latest Service Announcement -
Slow Broadband Speeds (59438) - NEW
We are currently investigating a problem resulting in slow throughput/download speeds for some of our broadband customers.
Two of our 622Mbps BT Centrals are affected by this problem which in some cases is causing speeds to drop below 1Mbps for certain customers...

- with more details at http://www.plus.net/support/service/problems/problem.php?intProblemId=59438
Now THAT 'feels' more like the root cause of the problems I have been seeing, especially if these centrals are in any way used during the BT speedtester checks.
coastergrotto
Grafter

I've tried several times this morning to run the BT Speedtester but get the error message everytime.

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.
LittleReggie
Grafter

i had a spate of this a few weeks ago for no apparent reason. now it seems to be working ok again. sometimes i still get a lonnnnnng delay after entering my phone number, before it comes back asking for verification.