cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT OpenReach guy apparently improved my line and socket.

Josephish

BT OpenReach guy apparently improved my line and socket.

Hello!
A BT OpenReach just today resolved my issue with not be able to sync to the exchange (iirc). Many thanks for sending him out. Cheesy
While he was here though he said that my line speed should be improved now too, perhaps to the point where my line speed could reach 9Mbps. Is this true?
Apparently the current IP Profile for my line is 5.5 Mbps, is it possible I could be put on a higher one?
Thanks,
Joe.
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: BT OpenReach guy apparently improved my line and socket.

Run a BT diagnostic speed test to find what it says for your IP Profile. Then go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate and check it matches (it will be rounded down to the nearest 100).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

A BT OpenReach just today resolved my issue with not be able to sync to the exchange (iirc). Many thanks for sending him out.

Great to hear, glad it's sorted for you!
While he was here though he said that my line speed should be improved now too, perhaps to the point where my line speed could reach 9Mbps. Is this true?

To put is bluntly, no. Your exchange is only capable of 20CN (up to 8Mb).
Apparently the current IP Profile for my line is 5.5 Mbps, is it possible I could be put on a higher one?

We have no direct control of your IP profile, however what I can do now the fault is resolved is submit an SNR reset. This will put your line into the 10 day training period and move the SNR margin back from 15db to 6db, this should give an increase in speed for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Josephish I recommend you post to confirm you want Chris to do the SNR reset. Once it's done make sure you leave the router on 24x7 and don't do any resets. It's possible that following the reset you may not see an increase in actual speeds. Run the BT speed test to confirm that the IP Profile has increased and then check the current the current line speed on the portal page I linked. Note it can take up to 12 hours to catch up - if it goes beyond that post again to ask for it to be corrected.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Josephish

Quote from: jelv
Run a BT diagnostic speed test to find what it says for your IP Profile. Then go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate and check it matches (it will be rounded down to the nearest 100).

The IP Profile in my original post is actually taken from that speed tester. I can tell you that the Line Speed reported by the second link is 7.15 Mb though.
Quote from: Chris
We have no direct control of your IP profile, however what I can do now the fault is resolved is submit an SNR reset. This will put your line into the 10 day training period and move the SNR margin back from 15db to 6db, this should give an increase in speed for you.
Quote from: jelv
@Josephish I recommend you post to confirm you want Chris to do the SNR reset. Once it's done make sure you leave the router on 24x7 and don't do any resets. It's possible that following the reset you may not see an increase in actual speeds. Run the BT speed test to confirm that the IP Profile has increased and then check the current the current line speed on the portal page I linked. Note it can take up to 12 hours to catch up - if it goes beyond that post again to ask for it to be corrected.

This is me saying yes please then. :]
I appreciate the additional instructions as well, I'll be sure to follow them.
Thank-you both for the quick responses!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Done. Can take up to 4 hours to first take effect though.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.