Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Master socket loose with BT iplate fitted

littlebird
Dabbler

BT Master socket loose with BT iplate fitted

Hi
I am looking for some advice, I have been having problems with my broadband speeds dropping alot and after a lot of complaining to plusnet I think I have found the problem might be the faceplate and/or master socket, it is very loose and think this might be causing the problems, there is a BT iplate fitted to it and thanks to the screws BT supplied with it cant be removed no matter how hard I try and I am looking for any advice regarding what I can do. I really cannot afford any bills for the master socket to be replaced at the moment but dont know what I can do to get it to tighten up (I believe as it is in the house it is my responsibilty)
4 REPLIES 4
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: BT Master socket loose with BT iplate fitted

If it's the faceplate that's loose relative to the master socket behind then the wrong screws have probably been used.  Some master sockets have brass bushes that take 'machine thread' screws, others have just holes molded in the plastic that require a self-tapping style.  IF you can get the screws out then you should be sble to see which type need to be used (if the threads have not been damaged by the wrong screws - particularly if tapered screws have been forced into brass bushes on an older type socket).  It might sound a little daft but it's possibly worth trying some decent adhesive tape round the joint between the master socket back-box and the faceplate, this might just stabilise it enough to stop movement from causing problems - at least as a temoprary measure.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Who fitted the i-plate??  and was the front faceplate OK before this?Huh
AFAIK, the master socket is the demarcation point for the BT service, but I am unsure if this pertains to the TEST socket or the front faceplate.  Regardless to say, if BT fitted the i-plate then they are responsible for the issue, if they did not then whoever did is..... 
littlebird
Dabbler

I bought the iplate about 2 years ago (from BT direct) and fitted it to improve speed (Iam 3 miles from the exchange and had problems with low speed) so I know I would be responsible but it is not just the front section that is loose, the back section of the master socker is also loose, after some adjusting of the screws and making sure the socket is as tight as possible IP profile and speeds have improved back to what they were (typically now getting 4.5Mbps) so something must have been knocking the connection off.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just for clarity, the master socket and wiring to it are the responsibility of BT, the removable faceplate and wiring connected to it is the responsibility of the customer (even though the faceplate is supplied as part of the master socket), anything beyond the test socket may be removed, replaced or altered by the customer so items such as iplates or filtered faceplates may fitted and extension wiring may be connected to the faceplate.  The customer must not connect anything upstream of the test socket.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.