cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Master socket - connection speed

johnboyblue

BT Master socket - connection speed

Hi
I have just connected my router direct to the BT master socket using a telephone extension-lead.
The ADSL Connection page on my router then showed 3552 Kbps - whoopee, double my normal speed!  However running Plusnet's speedtester revealed only 1442 kbps and www.speedtest.net gave a similar result.
Disconnecting the extension-lead and plugging into to my house telephone socket resulted with the router showing the normal 1856 Kbps but both speedtesters still gave around 1442 kbps, so I retried the extension-lead again with the same result as above.
I cannot undertsand why the router shows a greater connection speed (double!) direct from the master socket but there is no speed increase shown by the speedtesters! Please can anyone expalin why this might be as I do not want to rewire my telephone sockets unless there is an actual speed benefit?
Thanks, John
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT Master socket connection speed

John,
Have a read of this then come back with any further questions http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm
But to answer your last point if you can get your stable synch speed as shown by your router to stay at or about that level then after about 3 or 4 days yours stable rate and hence actual observed speed will increase to about 3,000 kbps
johnboyblue

Hi Oldjim
Thanks for your response.  Some time ago I moved all my kit and connected direct at the master socket and the adsl sync speed on the router went upto about 3500, however I did not realise it would take time before it would be applied to the actual download speed.  I will rewire the master socket direct to the router and put the phone system downiline via a microfilter.  Just one thing, are all microfilters created equal, or are some better than others?
thanks again
John
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Some are definitely better than others, and there are 2-wire, 4-wire and other variants.
See: http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
Personally I like the Excelsus Z-filter & adslnation XL-1e.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BT Master socket - connection speed

If you can the ADSL Nation filtered faceplate would be the way to go http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT Master socket - connection speed

Indeed. When/if I move to ADSL2+ that will be fitted first. Grin
I'm less than 1km from t'exchange with huge margins on noise and attenuation so it's unnecessary on normal "Max" and I haven't bothered, especially as it involves a bit of "rejigging" of the phone & router cabling.