DSL standard: ADSL_G.dmt
UpstreamRate: 416 kbps
DownstreamRate: 160 kbps
Upstream Attainable Rate: 480 kbps
Downstream Attainable Rate: 960 kbps
noise margin upstream: 6 db
output power downstream: 14 db
attenuation upstream: 22 db
The thing is as discussed further up the post the severe noise has been down to a Sky box which was installed without a microfilter and has been sitting there for months like that without me spotting it (now rectified). Oldjim suggested that my old router was simply ignoring the increasingly bad noise margin values sent by the exchange and so the problem was masked. Now I've installed a "new and improved" router I'm getting the full force of it.
NB IP profile still fine:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 104 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :160 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 416 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3000 Kbps
PlusNet side matches this:
Estimated line speed:
0.5 - Checked on 2010-03-03 13:27:21
Current line speed:
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BT IP profile @ 135 Kbps - help?

The worrying thing is that that's what you're syncing at - are you never able to sync at a speed higher than 160kb/s?
At present the exchange is reporting a line profile of 3000 and a target SNR of 15dB.
What happens if you resync around the lunchtime mark (sometime between 11am and 2pm)? That's generally the time when better rates are achieved.
Having said that a line test has just reported a fault, so I'll get this raised back for you now and let you know as soon as we get an update.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Palmski,
Yep - the line test highlighted a lower threshold breach problem (basically you syncing below the fault threshold rate of your line). I've therefore raised this for you and will let you know as soon as we get an update.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Palmski
The thing is as discussed further up the post the severe noise has been down to a Sky box which was installed without a microfilter and has been sitting there for months like that without me spotting it (now rectified).

Thanks for that information. I think what I should have said is that the unfiltered Sky box masked that a line fault was also present. However the test Matt's post mentions has possibly picked that up and a fault has been raised.
From the stats you posted I suggest trying a router restart would be appropriate, hopefully get your sync back up to suit the 3000kbps IP Profile you have. Since that hasn't dropped to match your sync speed I think it is stuck.
David
Palmski
Grafter

Thanks all. Sadly what with being at work I won't be able to do a midday restart until the weekend.
~3Mbps would be marvellous by comparison to what I have now, however I'm still a little confused as to whether or not the unfiltered Sky box has been causing a problem or not. I appreciate this is almost impossible to tell from a support forum. It would be nice to ultimately get back to the high sync speeds I was seeing previously.
@Matt Taylor
since swapping the router over my sync speeds have been low but never quite that bad. Is there any chance this could be related to my request for a product upgrade from my somewhat ancient Broadband Pay as you go 2Gb to Premium? It shouldn't have happened yet as my billing date is 14th but I thought it worth mentioning.
One further thing to add is that I haven't yet been able to test from the master socket, as the router and all the PCs wired into it are 3 floors up from it. However I've managed to get hold of a laptop so I can give that a try this evening so I can at least rule out internal wiring.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

One can be sure that an unfiltered Sky box won't do any good, but whether it does any harm might depend on what the box tries to do. It is possible that filtering the box and the problem seeming to go away was just coincidence. What is certain is that the fault on the line that Matt mentioned needs to be fixed. Assuming your line then becomes stable the target noise margin should, in time, reduce and give you back the higher sync speeds you previously had.
If you will be remaining on 20CN initially when your product change takes place that should have no effect on sync speeds (or the fault). If you are being switched to 21CN it might do since your line will jumpered at the exchange to an MSAN instead of a DSLAM.
Moving your router to the master socket will cause a re-sync, which is worth doing anyway - you've nothing to lose even if it isn't the 'best' time of day. However I suggest trying the test socket first - to eliminate internal wiring. I think it is worth checking that the Sky box socket is then dead - others have mentioned finding the Sky box was wired into the BT side of the socket rather than the faceplate.
David
Palmski
Grafter

Well whatever Matt has prompted BT to do it has had some effect, I'm now sync'ing at a more acceptable level - 2240 Kbps - without having to reboot the router. Of course my BT IP profile is back where we started this whole saga - 135 Kbps  Grin
However the noise margin is down to 9db now which is somewhat better than the 23db I was getting this time yesterday, so it's all progress.
Once I get a chance I'll try the test socket downstairs with my purloined router, but fwiw the router stats right now:
noise margin downstream: 9 db
output power upstream: 11 db
attenuation downstream: 29 db
UpstreamRate: 416 kbps
DownstreamRate: 2240 kbps
Upstream Attainable Rate: 480 kbps
Downstream Attainable Rate: 2656 kbps
noise margin upstream: 6 db
output power downstream: 19 db
attenuation upstream: 22 db
and speed test result:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 94 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2240 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 416 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
spraxyt
Resting Legend

How long is it since the router re-synced (wondering if the downstream target noise margin is now 9dB)?
I feel those router stats suggest major connection problems. I suggest trying the test socket as soon as you can, necessary to eliminate your internal wiring as a cause of the fault. Using a different router and filter is also helpful.
David
Palmski
Grafter

OK the weirdness just continues; I get no DSL signal at all when plugged directly into the test socket, however when I plug into the master socket once the faceplate is back in place I get a decent sync rate back again of 6752 Kbps:
noise margin upstream: 21 db
attenuation upstream: 19 db
noise margin downstream: 8 db
attenuation downstream: 30 db
Clearly I have some quite serious wiring issues! However right now I'll be happy with the sync rate I was getting earlier on today and worry about trying to boost the rest of it once things have settled; among many other things this whole episode has definitely taught me that if it's working then don't fiddle about with it!!
Palmski
Grafter

Utter utter madness now; back upstairs and  now I'm getting this:
noise margin downstream: 8 db
attenuation downstream: 30 db
UpstreamRate: 448 kbps
DownstreamRate: 7200 kbps
Upstream Attainable Rate: 1016 kbps
Downstream Attainable Rate: 7936 kbps
noise margin upstream: 21 db
attenuation upstream: 19 db
I am so confused now I don't even know where I live.  Crazy
The only thing I can think of is the wiring doesn't like anything being plugged into the master socket - I sync'ed before I reinserted the filter that the Sky box is attached to. However if it's working I don't want to break it again by resync'ing!
So, sit tight and wait for the IP profile to recover and hopefully all will be well. *Hopefully*..... at least I now know if my sync rate goes through the floor again just to unplug the &^%$ing Sky box for a while  Roll_eyes
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: Palmski
Clearly I have some quite serious wiring issues!

Indeed you do. Sad
The test socket not working is weird, when you removed the faceplate was the BT wiring from the back of the socket attached to the front plate?
The stats from the master socket look normal for a 9dB downstream target noise margin, I assume the upstream sync speed was 448kbps which it should be?
David
Palmski
Grafter

Yup, wiring was to the front plate and yes, upstream was 448.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Was it by any chance the Sky installers who (re)wired the master socket like that?
Did any of the wiring look loose when you removed the faceplate. Wondering if the physical connections have been improved by unplugging things and plugging them in again?
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

are you sure that the thing on the end of the Sky wire is a filter?, they sometimes use a junction block that looks like a filter but isnt
Palmski
Grafter

@spraxyt
Pretty sure it wasn't Sky, I don't recall them rewiring anything. TBF though the whole house is something of a DIY disaster, everything is done "not quite right" so I'm not surprised it's non-standard. The wiring itself didn't appear loose, just old but I didn't really look too closely.
@pierre_pierre
I've added my own filter to it because I thought it *was* just a junction block. There is no indication as to what it really is - it looks just like a junction block.
BT IP Profile has recovered nicely overnight though:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2589 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7200 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps
Once the PN profile updates to match (currently @ 3000) I'll be back roughly where I started, which was the aim of the game!