cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT IP profile @ 135 Kbps - help?

Palmski
Grafter

BT IP profile @ 135 Kbps - help?

I've been attempting (unsuccessfully) to install a new modem/router, but now when I switch back to the older working hardware I find my download speeds have dropped to ~120 Kbps.
I ran the BT speed check and it came back with:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 114 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5888 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
I guess the IP profile is what is causing the problems - I was getting ~5M download speeds before I started goofing around with my hardware.
How can I get this value back up to what it should be?
46 REPLIES 46
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: BT IP profile @ 135 Kbps - help?

go down the pub and goof around there, it is up to BT and can take three days, to many disconnects in a short time Angry Angry
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Palmski
I've been attempting (unsuccessfully) to install a new modem/router,
How can I get this value back up to what it should be?

I guess the answer yur Profile has dropped, is in the first line of your posting......
If you have been "attempting" to install a new router, then I suspect you have plugged it in, set it up, and not got a connection, then unplugged it and done it all again, "several times" within an hour or two,.... BT equipment will see this as a fault on the line..... like a broken wire keeps touching to connect in the wind.....
You need to now, leave the router plugged in and switched on 24/7 for a couple of days, before you do anything else..... I would suggest you plug it into the Master Socket .... where the BT cable comes into your house....
You will just have to be patient...... the speed will not go up automatically during the next couple of days, BUT the BT equipment will be registering  the status of your line. and eventually you will be able to re-boot the router, and your speed should improve....  When you re-boot, only do it once..... between the hours of 10:30 and 14:30   ... and do it like this...... Unplug it from the mains..... wait for 10 minutes, the plug it back in. and let it sort itself out..... do not do anything more until the connection is made..... and you are back on the internet..... then you can do a BT speed test. just to see if it has made any improvements....
I would suggest you make notes on the times you do the BT speed test, and the results.... and then you can compare to see what it was, and is now.... You can also post them on this thread to keep us up to date.....

Palmski
Grafter

Thanks guys, clearly the problem is down to my goofing around without fully understanding the consequences.
As an aside how should I go about setting up the new hardware given the recommended (http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/prestige660h.shtml) approach (ie autoconfig) did not work? I believe I know the settings I should use having taken them from the old router, however I don't want to get back into this situation again if I need a bit of trial and error to get things working, as is invariably the case with these things.
Any handy hints?
shutter
Community Veteran

So.... how are you connected to the internet, now, then?  wired? or wireless? 
How do you want to be connected to the internet...... Wired, or wireless?
Palmski
Grafter

Currently on wired, staying wired. I'm just replacing one modem/router with another, the new one just happens to be a wireless AP as well (which I will make use of in due course).
The problem is simply that it seems that I need to get the settings right first time or my broadband connection will get crippled once again. I attempted the suggested PN solution (link in my post above) which is in part what landed me with the problem with my profile being dropped - I retried it with a few different permutations of the available options not realising that this would set the BT alarm bells ringing before I did what I knew I should have done in the first place and set the thing up manually. Damn me for being lazy.
Copying the settings from the old router only got me so far - I could connect OK but DNS was still not working on the automatic settings as it was with the old router which is when I switched back to find the DNS IP and discovered my download speeds had gone down the toilet. I've found the manual DNS server settings now so it should be just a question of switching the two routers over assuming I've got it all correct.
I was just wondering if there were any steps I could take to prevent BT's automatic restricting of my profile should it turn out everything was not quite right and I have to switch back to the old hardware once again and/or restart the router.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Palmski
I was just wondering if there were any steps I could take to prevent BT's automatic restricting of my profile should it turn out everything was not quite right and I have to switch back to the old hardware once again and/or restart the router.

Yes, TAKE IT SLOWLY.
Check, recheck and check again the router config - you can do this all offline remember.
When you're as happy as you can be turn off the working router and leave it for at least an hour.
Then try the new one and see if it syncs (check status) and then if it authenticates to PN and then if you actually have a working connection (DNS etc.).
If not, leave it connected anyway for at least an hour before turning it off, then wait another hour before reinstating the working router.
Only go through that sequence ONCE A DAY AT MOST.
Palmski
Grafter

Top stuff thanks. I'll have to curb my natural instincts to fiddle with it until it works Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran

As HPsauce says...... take it easy.!  Cheesy  patience is a virtue.... ! ! ! ... Good luck, and keep doing the BT speed tests.... show us some results... and we will see if we can advise further to improve...... Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think everyone in here has already given you the same reply I'd give. Just to confirm though, as long as you stay synced at the speed you are now (6368) then your IP Profile should increase in the next couple of days.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Palmski
Grafter

Hmm, beginning to run out of patience now, still no change, just a slight drop off in synch speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 112 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5760 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Router has been on and plugged in since Sunday morning, is there anything else I can do?
shutter
Community Veteran

As the router has been plugged in 24/7 since Sunday, you could try a "re-boot" during daylight hours today.... 10:30 TO 14:30 is best but a bit before or after won`t make much difference.....
Do a speed test on www.speedtest.net , then power down the router for 10 minutes, then replace the power plug..... you do not need to disconnect from the computer or the phone line... only remove the power plug... then when you have regained your connection, do a BT speed test. and post both results on here.... you may have an increase in your synch speed, and also your download speed too with luck.!
Palmski
Grafter

Thanks I'll give that a try when I get home from work. Fingers crossed  Wink
Out of interest why do you say "daylight hours"? Is that simply to get the best connection when there is less load on the network?
shutter
Community Veteran

No, it is to do with Radio Frequency Propogation.... how radio waves travel , and the amount of noise/interference your line can pick up.... As dusk approaches, the ionosphere (reflective layer in the sky) closes in on earth, and the amount of interference increases... Therefore it is best to do the re-boot when the "ether" is quietest..... i..e. during daylight hours....  Good Luck  Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your IP profile and the profile on our side increased to 5000 shortly after midday today, you may need to reboot your modem/router in order to pick up the new speed profile however it's preferable to do this during daylight hours.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.