cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT IP Profile and Plusnet Profile

pjemmanuel
Grafter

BT IP Profile and Plusnet Profile

I noticed recently that I was not getting my usual 200kbs download speed, so after checking my connection speed I did a few speed tests. Obviously I've had a few lower speed connections, not unusual given the bursts of poor weather we've had recently, and my profile has been lowered. I normally connect at around 2800kbs and get a 2000 profile.
Currently my profile at Plusnet is 1750.
Estimated line speed:
1.5 Mbps - Checked on 2009-02-21 18:20:42
Current line speed:

After doing a BT speedtest, the IP profile is being reported as 2000kbs: -
The BT Speed tester shows: -
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 2784 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1512 kbps

BT has been reporting this speed since Thursday, so after seeing no sign of the Plusnet profile changing, I raised a ticket today. I've just finished speaking Customer Support who insist the BT profile is 1750. They've updated my ticket with this information, which does show that the BT profile is 1750.
BIP Interface Data

Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
1750              2009-06-17T12:41:04                                             N                       2009-02-23T13:52:50                     2272

What is the point of checking with the BT Speedtest if the information it gives out is incorrect - the info it gives me states that the profile is 2000, whilst the information Plusnet can see shows it's 1750.

7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: BT IP Profile and Plusnet Profile

I've seen the BT speedtest contradict the line test results previously, give me 5 minutes and I'll update your profile on our side to 2000 and see if that gives an increase.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Thanks for looking at that Chris. I've been in work all afternoon and I've just seen your reply.
I've disconnected and reconnected again to pick up the new profile and it has shown an improvement.
Speedtest.net is showing 1.89Mbs which is around about right for my connection and is an improvement on the 1.5Mbs I was getting yesterday.
I can't get on the BT Speedtest right now to see what that is showing, but given what's gone on the last few days I can't really trust the figure anyway.
I'll keep monitoring over the next few days and if all seems well I'll close the ticket.
I did put a reply on it yesterday stating I DID NOT want the target margin raised to 12db, which is what the CSC wanted to do yesterday. I can live with a drop out every day if it has to happen, but I wouldn't be happy with the loss of speed resulting from doubling my target margin.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I still can't get on to BT to do a speed test, but I am downloading Open Office at the moment and I am systaining between 190 and 220 kilobytes per second, which is pretty much correct for a 2000 profile.
Responses on my ticket show that line test results are still pegging my line at 1750 even though (when I can get it) BT Speedtester shows me a 2000 profile and I am clearly getting 2000kbs throughput.
Just seems to me that there are too many links in the chain where inconsistencies can creep in.
Thanks for making the tweaks Chris, I'll be shouting for you it if goes belly up again.... Wink
Be3G
Grafter

Take a look at the second bit of blue in your original post Paul - looks like Plusnet's last record of your BRAS profile was from almost a month ago. I'm guessing that for whatever reason they never received the more recent report from BT to say your profile was now 2000.
pjemmanuel
Grafter

I never notice that Thomas, but now you mention it, you are correct that the report is nearly a month old.
The really odd thing about all this is that I only noticed the reduced speed on Thursday night last week, it had been fine up until then.
I did a BT test on Thursday and that was showing an IP profile of 2000, same again Friday night, then on Saturday morning, because it seemed that Plusnet hadn't caught up - they were still showing 1750, I raised a ticket.
The guy I spoke with insisted that the BT speed test was completely wrong and I only had a 1750 profile. Chris Popped in and looked at this last night and upped my profile to 2000 and everything got back to normal as soon as I was able to properly test it.
Something is definitely not right though, as you've just pointed out.
Still, as long as I've got my proper profile, I'm happy for the moment.
Be3G
Grafter

Err, sorry, just noticed that I called you 'Paul' in my last post. Embarrassed
pjemmanuel
Grafter

Don't worry about it, I respond to many names, most of which would probably be blanked out by the swear filter  Grin