cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Hub 5 disconnections

oakwoods
Dabbler

BT Hub 5 disconnections

I have recently purchased the BT Home Hub 5 to replace the cheap Plusnet router and the Openreach modem. The ethernet (wired) connections are working fine, but the wireless is presenting strange problems. All my devices always show excellent strength signal but the internet connections keep dropping out. I have 3 devices, smartphone, laptop and tablet and today they will be working but tomorrow 1 or more will be unable to access the internet, even though they show a perfect signal to the network. I have different SSIDs for the 2 frequencies but this did not fix it. I fail to see how I can have a wifi signal but randomly no internet connection.
The Hub is brand new but I am suspecting I have a duff unit. Does anyone have any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: BT Hub 5 disconnections

Seems to be a well know about  problem with the BT branded HH5  not sure if it's firmware related or the hardware it's self , but i have seen reports about it causing DLM to reduce sync speed  due to it frequently disconnecting  for no apparent reason
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Home-Hub-5-Disconnecting-Error-message/t...
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Home-hub-5-infinity-2-disconnection/td-p/11...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=123368.0
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/04/bt_home_hub_5_disconnection_mystery/
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=13597.0
Reading those would tell me not to bother buying one , plus i think i read somewhere that the BT agent (BT backdoor) can't be disabled !!
leader
Grafter

Wise to stick to the standard openreach modems at moment or research unlocked ones with BT software removed.
The HH5 is clearly not ready for prime time yet.
Not sure if the BT ports can be blocked on the HH5 ?
kankali
Grafter

Oakwoods,
Can you clarify one thing. Is it just the wireless connection you are loosing or the internet connection from the HHub to the exchange.
Assuming it's the former.
I have a HH5 where I have split the 2.4 & 5 wireless signals. I occasional see an issue on the PC's. It seems to coincide with the DHCP Lease expiring.
Try setting the DHCP lease to a longer period - say 2 days
Regards, David
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Iv'e been using the BT HomeHub 5 since november and not had any issues with it in fact i have found it to be one of the most stable modem/routers connection always remains solid decent wireless range though i did purchase mine direct from the bt store.
oakwoods
Dabbler

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Dave B - Yes it is just a wireless problem. You have lost me with the DHCP bit but I looked through the settings and changed the lease time from 1 day to 2 days as you suggested. I have no idea what that means but I will try it. Networking is not my strongest subject.
I was beginning to wonder if the other guys are right that I should stick to the supplied units, but the Technicolour router is rubbish, so I thought if I am changing, then let's change to a single box. Maybe I should have gone for Netgear or something similar but the HH5 got rave reviews in Computer Shopper.
I will see how it goes with the new lease time. I assume I do not have to reboot the router?
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@oakwoods
"A DHCP lease is an amount of time that an IP address is offered to a device"
So every time you connect a PC/phone/table to your router, it will ask for an IP address and the lease time is how long it has that number for. After that time, it must ask for an IP address again but generally will get the same one especially on a small home network.
Hope that helps.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
kankali
Grafter

Oakwood,
No you don't need to reboot the router.
Just my opinion but the PN supplied router is not the best.
I tried Netgear, Billion & TP Link before I decided to opt for the HH5 - I found it was the best compromise for me and only £40 from fleabay.
Regards, David
oakwoods
Dabbler

Tried the leasing fix but still got problems. All day my smartphone could see a wifi signal but no internet. This evening without doing anything, it's fine. All day the tablet has connected but not the laptop. This evening, only the laptop is disconnected, even though once again it sees a signal but it shows unknown network.
The device disconnection seems to be random and luck of the draw which device will work. It has to be the HH5. I wonder about running it from the Openreach modem, even though that really defeats the object. Either that or I dump it and buy something else. There seems to be quite a discussion on many forums whether modem/router or separate modem and router is best. So many choices.
What really p**s me off is Plusnet supply a rubbish router but refuse support if I buy something better. So much for trying to get the best out of the service.
leader
Grafter

Unlocked Openreach Modem---------->High end Router -------------> least hassle FTTC
Still think the new  "all in ones" are under powered*
Give it a year or so and then things might be more advanced.
*{The hh5 is the same chip as the ECI  for example but with the added  demands of a dual role}.