cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Homehub 5 on Plusnet

beardyboylondon

BT Homehub 5 on Plusnet

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I am unable to get the BT Homehub 5 to connect without the openreach fibre modem.
I was under the impression the BT Homehub 5 could work directly from the Fibre DSL plug without the need for the openreach fibre modem, but it wouldn't connect.
Any ideas?
20 REPLIES 20
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: BT Homehub 5 on Plusnet

IT definitely works directly from the DSL plug, one of my colleagues has just set one up on his Fibre connection. I'll point him at this thread and get him to advise...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

beardyboylondon

Thanks.  I've tried it twice now and it wont work. I cant find any settings to change on the Home hub, can't understand.
the Homehub 5 will work plugged into the openreach box, just as the Plusnet supplied Technicolor box does, but not standalone.

Work4Cunard
Dabbler

As the colleague of MisterW mentioned above, I can confirm it worked OK for me - just last week.
Sorry if this is stating the obvious but have you connected your DSL RJ11 to the RJ11 socket on the HH-5?
You do not connect it to the red WAN port, but with the WAN being an RJ45 socket it will accept the RJ11 connector. I have read other postings where this has been done.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Failing that, it's probably worth trying a reset on the HH5 - I've seen a few dual WAN devices that don't like being switched from one WAN interface to the other without a complete reset.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
beardyboylondon

thanks, but I do know the difference between an ethernet socket and an RJ11.  so yes the RJ11 cable from the master socket was plugged into the RJ11 (grey DSL) socket on the Homehub 5.  It does not work.
when plugged into the open reach modem, I am getting 15% less speed than the Technicolor box.
I am sending the Homehub 5 back, as its clearly rubbish.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Before you send it back, any chance you could take a picture of the back of it and post it here?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: beardyboylondon

It's always possible that you have a faulty one, would you be looking for a replacement (non-faulty) HH5 or trying something else?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Work4Cunard
Dabbler

Quote from: beardyboylondon

In case anyone else is reading this thread is considering a HH-5 ....
I had absolutely no problem setting up my HH-5 straight out of the box, simply entered my  @plusdsl.net username & pwd and it came up straight away.
The advantage it gives me over the TG582 is primarily a massive improvement in wireless connectivity; whereas the TG582 was prone to a wireless disconnect for no apparent reason (all devices), the HH-5 provides 100% reliable connection since installation. It also offers dual band wireless-ac, although the latter is currently only untilised with daughters iPhone5.
A pleasant surprise was the Intenet access control feature which allows you to restrict access on a per-device basis, in my case shutting down kids devices from 9pm-6:30am - although for this you do need to have plusnet firewall set to Low to allow the HH-5 to receive the NTP time updates.
beardyboylondon

the rear is the same as the one in this picture
http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/hardware/bt-home-hub
beardyboylondon

after a hard reset it sprang to life at last!  thanks all
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks for pointing me at the picture. I'm getting a Hub 5 from a well-known auction site in the next couple of days and wasn't sure if there were separate ADSL and VDSL ports, but I now see it uses the same port for both.
mrfawlty
Dabbler

I got myself one and it worked straight away. However, it keeps disconnecting. It reconnects immediately but it can be a pain if I'm in the middle of a skype call or online game. 
It only happens once or twice a day but it does it regularly once or twice a day. 
I rang support and they can't support the HH5 of course, but they did tell me to connect directly with the openreach modem and that works pretty solidly so it must be a HH problem.
Are there any settings I can try changing to help with this? Either on the HH or in my account settings?
I can see I may need to run it with the Openreach modem which is ok but I'd rather have fewer devices in the living room where the socket is. (It is the master socket and I have no other sockets in the house)
beardyboylondon

@Jaggies, tip for you, turn off smart set up, drove me crazy until I worked it out
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/c/
Work4Cunard
Dabbler

Quote from: mrfawlty
It only happens once or twice a day but it does it regularly once or twice a day. 

I suspect these are related to CWMP traffic; If you check on the HH-5, go to Troubleshooting>>Event Log and filter on TR069
In my case there is typically one connection a day, some (not all) of which seem to have resulted in DSL line resynch.
i.e. if I look at the current DSL up-time and calculate backwards, then the time aligns with the CWMP dialogue.
Another cross-check is to then filter on WAN Events and that aligns too.
I am presuming this is because the exchange is re-learning my line capability with the new router being installed; the max speed reported at the HH-5 has been creeping up.
So hopefully it will settle out in the next few days, similar to what plusnet advise when the service first goes active.