Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Homehub 3

alex7127
Grafter

BT Homehub 3

Hi
I have been told and have read on the net that the BT Homehub 3 is a great router for use on long lines and holds sync with a lower SNRM  where other routers would resync at a lower rate and higher SNR margin.
I have also read that it will accept a @plusdsl.net user login.
Has anyone used the Homehub 3 for an ISP other than BT? Also is it true that they are good for long lines (as I describe above)
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Alex Grin
13 REPLIES 13
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT Homehub 3

I'm not sure about the long line issue - I think it is the old BT Business Hub (2-Wire 2700HGV) that has that reputation.
However, I am using a Home Hub 3 quite happily with my PlusNet ADSL connection.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Really Alex, where did you read that - I wouldn't touch a HH with a barge pole, also you can't run RS on it and getting any stats is a bugger. Yes I do believe you can use @plusdsl.net usernames in it.  Excuse me whilst I get a sick bucket.
Anyway, what up now then? The last I heard your line was running like a dream.
alex7127
Grafter

Chris.......ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Grin
Well things arn't as good as they could be.
Since going 21cn max sync rate has shot up to a max of 2.2Meg
BUT am still having at least one resync as day.....say RSL shows trundling along the 6 line (flat) then sudden resync to a lower rate........trundles alon still at 6 ish then in lets say 20-30 mins the SNRM jumps up to 10 or 11db. I reboot router (first disconnecting at PN end in router) and return to my original sync rate. All fine but as you know the PN profile tumbles and DOES NOT GO BACK UP ON ITS OWN!!!!!!!!!  I am sick to death of having to keep asking for my PN profie to be nudged up.
The last thing I can do is find the best router for my set up. I hear that some are better than others for holding sync on noisy lines or low snrm and or long lines. My total line length is 5670m (4980m DP and 690m PCP to NTE). My attn down is showing at 63.5 db.
Any ideas of a router for my service charateristics?
Shall I raise a follow on fault ticket with PN? I think Spencer put a note on my file that if things went bad again then the next course of action is a 'lift and shift'......whatever this may be????Huh

Regards
Alex Crazy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I've sent you a PM Alex.
maximod
Grafter

Regarding long lines, my 2700hgv has worked a dream with 5.5km line length and 61db line attenuation, and currently syncing 2848kb.
During the next month the exchange is going 21cn, so i expect hassle, i am expecting to have the exchange set to adsl1 to keep the bb stable, time will tell.
alex7127
Grafter

Thanks maximod. What make is a 2700hgv........is it still available new?
My stats are not too dissimilar I suppose. My line is 5.67km and attn is 63.5
currently syced at 1.696Mbps  with an SNRM of around 9
maximod
Grafter

The router is a 2 wire 2700hgv, for the UK market they were made with the bt logo and had custom firmware.
Bt suppied it as a business router with their package.
It is an old model now, and most used ones have had v6 software through a forced upgrade, if you can get hold of a v5 firmware model, you can usually downgrade it , i have installed v4 software that allows wifi power adjustment.
The 2700hgv has good wifi coverage as standard.
The router is compatable with adsl2, but not adsl2+, on a long line adsl2+ is unimportant anyway.
Ebay has lots of them for sale, the router is very reliable,the only problems seen are the occasional external power supply, easy to obtain anyway.
Paul.
alex7127
Grafter

My exchange went 21cn a few months back.
Plusnet told me this 'You are on ADSL2 but on ADSL1 settings. Think of it like ADSL1 settings emulated over an ADSL2 line '. Because iof the problems I was having before.
So will I be ablke to use this 2700hgv on my line/service/settings?
Thanks
Alex
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The router is compatable with adsl2, but not adsl2+,

v5 & v6 will do adsl2+ just fine.
So will I be ablke to use this 2700hgv on my line/service/settings?

yes, in your case the exchange is set to force an ADSL1 profile and the 2700 will work fine with that.
See here for all things 2700 http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/ir1002700HGV.htm

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alex7127
Grafter

Thanks for this MisterW......just been on e-bay and there are loads and loads and loads for sale!
Do I need to find any version in particular or will all the 2700hgv versions work with my PN login details.
HELP!
Thanks
Alex Crazy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

They can all be made to work, just check the link to the tripod site , it covers all versions and is VERY thorough

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alex7127
Grafter

OK thanks for that. I shall have a good read from that site tonight. Any easyer than others to get to work?
Thanks
Alex Crazy
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Generally speaking, the older the version the easier to set up. Problem on later ones is getting it to accept a non-BT login.
Easy way round it:
When entering ISP login username, use 'anything@btinternet.com'. This will fail, of course - then go to the browser address bar and enter
http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=HURL13
Now enter your real ID and password and all will be well.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)