cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

istickland

Re: BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

Just logged in to check and my broadband account password has upper and lower case and numbers, but no special characters. The requirements must have changed since I created this password if this really is the case. Are you definitely logging in to the broadband section of their website, not the mobile side? I have a Plusnet mobile phone SIM too and the password for that contains special characters, which makes it really annoying having to remember that the passwords are different.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@Erict @istickland 

I too only have alphanumeric characters in my broadband password. There are lots of Plusnet customers using BT Smart Hubs so they cannot have special characters in their passwords. 

If Plusnet do now require those characters, then changing your password may not be an option if you use a Smart Hub.

Tags (2)
Erict

Thanks for your swift responses, guys.
I've just gone to my Plusnet account and successfully changed my password to one containing numbers and upper and lower case letters but without special characters. It was accepted despite the rules on the page saying special characters were required. Phew!
Mercifull

My plusnet password has special characters in it and works fine on the HH6

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The latest firmware obviously now allows then. Thanks for letting us know.

Mercifull

I picked mine up second hand off fleabay and connected it yesterday because I was so sick of the poor performance of the plusnet hub. I'm not sure If I'll stick with plusnet when my contract ends but if this router works out (which on first impression it appears to be) then I might renew.

I'll find out the firmware version when i get home and post it here for reference. But my plusnet password begins with a number and contains a lot more than just one special character and it connected fine. 

Mercifull

As promised, the firmware version:

SG4B1000E01E

Date firmware updated:

12/12/19 (but then I only turned it on for the first time yesterday)

casey_jones

A friend has been having trouble with his Plusnet hub when gaming, so Plusnet sent him a new one with the same problems, so I got a HH6 off fleabay for him. After the factory reset it goes purple if not connected to the phone socket, but it does not do this if connected to the socket, only flashes orange then goes solid orange. If I try to connect to the socket after the puple flash it still does not connect. He can connect fine through his PN hub. Does this mean the BT HH6 is knackered? I have followed the guide, but tbh it should be straightforward enough.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

All I can suggest is to re set the smart hub to factory settings by using a pin to rear, making sure that you hold the pin  it in for a long time until lights appear. Ensure that the Tab "Smart set up " is  off 

See baldrick 1 Guide here

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

and post 41 here

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

do not plug in dsl lead until ready to connect to phone line

originally the BT Home hub would not accept odd characters in the password  ie .  $%^*(&£@!)_+= etc

although later firmware apparently allowed this. Perhaps your HH has not received the updated firmware yet.

remember to connect to plus net using  youreusername@plusdsl.net

Although plusnet apparently now advise for an odd character in the password it has not been necessary in the past

casey_jones

Thanks for the reply. I'd already followed the baldrick guide to no avail. I've tried using the paper clip for 30 secs to reset and it does not work, just orange flashing then solid orange if I'm connected to the phone socket, just purple flashing if not.

Going to try this tomorrow when I'm at his house

BT Home Hub orange flashing light

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/ in your web browser.
    This is the default IP address for the hub. If you’ve changed the IP address, use that instead, or try http://bthomehub.home/.
  2. Click Advanced Settings in the toolbar and log in with your admin password.
  3. Click Broadband, then Reset username.
  4. Wait a few seconds and the hub should connect.
    The bar light on the front of the hub should go from solid/flashing orange, to flashing orange, to solid orange, then blue to indicate a successful connection to broadband. The broadband light under the bar light should go out when connection is made.

If you’re suffering from the bug of flashing orange and purple, you may need to do this each time you restart the hub and the orange flashing light will be replaced with a blue solid light and broadband will be connected.

https://georgegarside.com/blog/technology/fix-bt-home-hub-5-orange-light/

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@casey_jones 

Where some people go wrong is that they do not leave the DSL cable unplugged whilst they set up the Plusnet credentials. It is essential that you don’t plug it in until instructed to do so.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

steviejay
Grafter

Got the SmartHub (Hub6 Type A) and is on SG4B1000E01E

Today I have the BT Business Smart Hub (Type A) as it has DNS control and Guest WiFi (except it doesn't have Guest WiFi)

But, the firmware update is SG4B1B007010

Firmware updated:
01-Jan-0001

So I don't think it's tried to update yet, the pin trick hasn't elicited any change, and Googling doesn't return anything useful.

Anyone got one of these and know what the 'target' firmware is? And know how I can 'prompt' it, if at all?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@steviejay 

Mines on SG4B1B0092 BC.

As you say it doesn't have a guest network. The BT WiFi is totally open so best switched off. 

You can't trigger a firmware update, just be patient and it'll sort itself out. These hubs check home every day and do a soft reset every fortnight.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

steviejay
Grafter

Hi @Baldrick1 and thanks

It's updated to say it's checked today but is still on SG4B1B007010 so I'm going to restart it.

And with a restart it's SG4B1B0092BC