cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

davybhoy1983
Grafter

Re: BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

Would anyone know the answer to my query on post number 143 please?

Regards

Davy
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@davybhoy1983    What Huawei modem are you talking about, or do you mean the Openreach FTTP ONT (Optical Network Terminator) which does have battery backup. That only works for full fibre connections i.e. FTTP but you don't need it as the Homehub 6 has a VDSL modem to connect to FTTC. 

Do you need to have a separate modem for any reason? 

stringly
Hooked

Just got a Business Hub 6 and cannot seem to get it to connect to plusnet. My HomeHub 3 works fine though.

I have attached some screenshots of the hubs info after I reset it. I have tried all the guides on here, nothing seems to work.
My password is alphanumeric,
I have reset the hub,
Changed to my username@plusdsl.net,
I have tried doing this with the cables all plugged in and without,
I tried with the smart setup enabled and disabled.

If there is anything obvious I am doing wrong or if anyone has an idea what the problem might be related to I would really appreciate some help/advice.

I have also attached a photo of the VDSL modem that I am using with the HomeHub 3, perhaps this is somehow related?

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

stringly
Hooked

Thanks for the reply lifeonmars, I have followed your posts multiple times and it just doesn't connect for me sadly. I only posted the modem picture as I thought it could be related somehow, I have tried everything mentioned on this forum before posting. Is there nothing strange/different about the pictures in my previous post?

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

The firmware should update when connected

You have incorrect broadband shown, still shows BT one

I would do a factory reset both ways, by using pin method

(You have to keep the reset pin in for a considerable amount of time. 25-30secs or more) and also using the BT Home hub Manager. Ensure also that smart set up is off.

The Business hub also has an open guest access which you may wish to switch off.

Post some pictures of your BT Smart Hub is it FTTC . or FTTP type ?

stringly
Hooked

Thanks, it is the same as the one you have attached, 4 x rj45 yellow ports, 1 x usb and 1 x rj11. FTTC I assume.

I have tried resetting via the software and the long pin press waiting until the box light goes green - however, I didn't try doing one and then the other, would that make a difference? I didn't try disabling guest access either, could this have an impact when trying to sync with plusnet?

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

All I can suggest is reset as I have said.   (This is probably the main reason) 

Make sure Smart set up is  switched off. 

Enter the correct broadband name ie  yourusername@plusdsl.net  and settings as advised. and save settings.

Connection type or encapsulation PPPoE Always On
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

split the 5GHZ snd 2.5GHZ

stringly
Hooked

Thanks again, tried everything you said and it just stays flashing purple. I couldn't find the PPPoE settings on this router. Perhaps a non-business one would be better?

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Does Plus net broadband show in Broadband ?
Are you using correct passwords, (do not use any weird figures like ? ! ;: ) etc

PPOE will not be shown so don’t worry about that
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

If its flashing purple it is not connected to the internet

Should be steady orange light before connecting. Is broadband lead plugged in ?

Have you saved changes as you alter settings, for broadband user name press the edit tab and type in   yourusername@plusdsl.net with the correct password you use for membercentre. And press the connect tab.

see my attachments , yours should be similar except Username.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@stringly

First, your screenshot in post 153 shows that you have a standard residential smarthub 6, not the business version.

When setting it up go into the advanced broadband settings. Unplug the dsl lead before setting your Plusnet user name and password. The router will then say 'connecting'. Whilst this is showing plug in the dsl lead.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stringly
Hooked

Thanks baldrick, I will contact the seller. I just checked the box it came in and the device, the serial numbers are different! I will try what you said, changing the details while it is connecting. Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The first clue to whether it is a Business Hub, apart from the part number is the admin pages header:

Router Header.png

The point I was making is not that you change the log in details whilst connecting. What you need to do is change the details before connecting the dsl lead to the master socket. If you don't it tends to pick up the original BT address and try to connect to the BT network, from which it is rejected. If you change to the Plusnet details then plug in the dsl lead after it starts trying to connect, it picks up correctly. After doing this once the router saves the Plusnet log in details and you have no more problems.

The reason I have found that I have had to do this is despite it saying on the advanced broadband page that you need to save changes, there is no save button. The act of connecting to the correct network appears to be the trigger for saving.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stringly
Hooked

Thanks for all the help, I got a new hub today and it is working. The only difference I can see is the boot loader is version 9.2.0 on this one that works whereas it was 7.33.1 on the one that didn't.

The other hub never flashed any other colour than green and purple, this one flashes orange, then goes solid orange then solid blue when the modem cable is in.

Hopefully this helps someone who has the same issue as me.