Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) on PlusNet

A warm welcome to the forums.

The simple answer is do nothing with your current set up other than change the PPP (internet account) connection settings to those provided by Plusnet.

Your home network can then remain as is.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @geriatrix 

The router details themselves should not alter once you are authenticated onto our network. 

As there may be a slight disconnection, your devices may disconnect and require the credentials to be manually inputted again. 

Let us know how you get on. 

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

You have to completely hard reset the BT smart hub to factory settings and enter your plusnet details as shown,

(username@plusdsl.net) then your plusnet password

Do not use any +*/ or similar in any passwords as the BT Router does not appear to accept them.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/m-p/1415464#M312705

on setting up  you can enter/choose  the name of your network you require if you do not wish to use the default name on the router labels

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If this is an already installed BTHH why does it need a factory reset?  If this were an acquired BTHH then I agree, it needs a factory resent.

I have swapped many installations from BT to Plusnet simply by changing the internet account settings and thereby leaving the connected network (and the settings of the devices) unchanged.

Edit: Similarly to simplify such migrations, I have also installed the Plusnet router and changed its wifi SSID and password to match that of the old (BTHH) router, thereby negating the need to reconfigure wifi settings in every device.  That though does not address reserved IP address settings if they are used.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Try it,  and if works let the thread know.  It may well work, however most on here have bought a BT HH  so the posts and set up refer to that, to help get connected first time. 

However I think that a hard (Factory)  reset is the only way to enter/alter your broadband user name and password  ie (username@plusdsl.net)   (Which is different to BTs)  and switch off smart set up. But having never done it I don't know.

when accessing your BT Smart hub from 192.168.1.254  without hard resetting  It may think it is still on BT Broadband and not allow any re configuration to allow working with plusnet.

The BT Smart hub was only meant to work with BT. But now as plusnet is part of BT the Smart hubs work with it

geriatrix
Hooked

Yes, my BT Smarthub is already installed and working with my BT broadband. I will try just changing the settings without a hard reset and let you know the outcome. Provided that I can get online. 🙂

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Remember to allow time for the account to be activated AFTER the service swaps.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@geriatrix wrote:

Yes, my BT Smarthub is already installed and working with my BT broadband. I will try just changing the settings without a hard reset and let you know the outcome. Provided that I can get online. 🙂

I too will be interested in the outcome. One thing I remember finding is that I could not input my Plusnet details unless the DSL cable was disconnected.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That’s somewhat likely that you could not change the connection details whilst the PPP session was active.

geriatrix
Hooked

OK all sorted. The Smart SetUp on my Smart Hub was already off, so it was just a matter of deleting the BT details and inserting my Plusnet details and password and connecting. 

Thanks so much for the help. I'm so glad I didn't have to reset my SmartHub back to the factory settings.

SmithersJones
Dabbler

It it just a matter of disconnecting your Smarthub and replacing the username and password?Huh

I already have a Smarthub set up on BT, and switching to PlusNet soon.

BHJM
Hooked

I previously had BT and swapped to Plusnet. With the Plusnet One / HH5 my downstream connection is around 48Mbs and 9Mbs up. 

But when I use the Smart Hub 6, the downstream cuts in half down to 24Mbs and upstream increases to 11Mbs.

Anyone else have this issue? I've factory reset it and still the same issue. Soon as I plug the Hub One / HH5 back in it jumps back to normal.

geriatrix
Hooked

To  SmithersJones

Worked for me! I didn't even disconnect my Smart Hub. But I think you should check that "Smart Set Up" is turned off, before you do anything else. let us know how you get on, just in case mine was a fluke!

Oh, and one thing I've just added. There was quite a time lapse between BT disconnecting my line, and it then being reinstated for Plusnet. An hour or so, during which time I bit my nails and worried. This is the second time I've moved ftom BT to Plusnet, and I don't remember that happening the first time.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@BHJM wrote:
But when I use the Smart Hub 6, the downstream cuts in half down to 24Mbs and upstream increases to 11Mbs.

Anyone else have this issue? I've factory reset it and still the same issue. Soon as I plug the Hub One / HH5 back in it jumps back to normal.

I've not heard any complaints of this happening from all the people (including me) who use these devices. Has the firmware been updated since you started using it?  I don't know what the latest version is as I currently use the Business version but I'm sure that if you post it here others will know. Other than that I can only assume that you have a duff Smarthub 6. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

SG4B1000B540

21-May-2018