davidwalker900
Grafter

Re: BT Home Hub 5

your welcome StevieK
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The WAN port on the hub 5 is for FTTP connections that maintain the full 300Meg speeds I believe.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
buseng12
Grafter

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It's the fibre modem supplied with FTTP. I suspect you can also connect that same port to a separate FTTC modem as well.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I just ordered BT Home Hub 5 off ebay brand new inc P&P £49.99 unopened box. Will let u know once I had set it up with ADSL2+ and soon FTTC when FTTC is available.
kelvin
Grafter

I treated myself to a brand new Home Hub 5 (£30 + £8 p&p on Gumtree) as the reduction to one box and improved wireless connectivity appealed.
I set up today, both wired and wireless devices, which was relatively simple except that I could not get a wireless connection between my printer (Canon MG6450) and the Hub using the WPS button on the Hub. It had connected to my technicolor router easily. I eventually found a way to put the Hub access code into the printer manually.
My download and upload speeds are virtually identical ( FTTP), as would be expected.
One slight downside is that there is (as far as I can see) just one activity light (no separate lights for power, ethernet, broadband, internet (as on technicolor) or power, DSL LAN (as on modem))
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: kelvin
One slight downside is that there is (as far as I can see) just one activity light (no separate lights for power, ethernet, broadband, internet (as on technicolor) or power, DSL LAN (as on modem))

I believe they flash differently and have different colours for different statuses.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
HaresEar
Grafter

Just out of interest I have a Hub 4 on adsl+ which performs well and was easy to set up.  Only thing I have noticed is that I get a PPPoA is down after xxxxx minutes uptime [Disconnected] about once a week usually in the morning.  The faster wifi is only useful at close range. Even if I force my mac not to the faster connection data transfer is slower at distance.
It was easy to set up and I am happy.
My speed increased with the BT hub Cheesy
Oh software upgrade was automatic.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I wouldn't go flashing my home hub just for the lights  Roll_eyes
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
kelvin
Grafter

I haven't checked to see if the software has updated but have tested wireless and it is no better than the plusnet router. My laptop is about 15ft and two walls away from the BT Home Hub and speed was worse to begin with. It has picked up a bit but download speed is still down a little at the moment. I hope it improves as I was hoping to get iplayer to work on my smart TV (it didn't with the plusnet router) but no luck so far
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

FWIW my Hub 5 wireless is better than anything I've previously used - I can even get a signal on my phone outside the house, through two 3 foot thick walls.
kelvin
Grafter

My Hub 5 is very erratic at the moment. It is only 3/4Mbps wirelessly at the moment whereas it was around 15 an hour ago and a consistent ~12 with the technicolor (once it had settled down)
I will monitor over the next week or so before spending more money on a wi fi extender
Perdrix
Grafter

I'm totally confused here.  I just bought a Home Hub 5 off Gumtree, plugged it in and tried to set the username and password.  It promptly replied:
"The Broadband username that you’ve entered is either incorrect or is not supported by your BT Home Hub. Please check your username and try again."
From all the posts here I thought it worked just fine ...
Thanks
Dave Partridge