cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT HUB 4 use on plusnet

la7
Dabbler

BT HUB 4 use on plusnet

My service goes live with Plusnet on Tuesday I understand I can use a BT HUB 4 with Plusnet by changing the user and password details if this is done will the BT HUB 4 still get its firmware updates from BT as it is not being used on BT broadband and be stuck on on old firmware or will it update ok when new firmware is rolled out to it? Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BT HUB 4 use on plusnet

no idea on the firmware issue
as for the settings if you log into the plusnet member center then click connection settings then connection details it will give you a list of things so can check against your hh4
in addition make sure the following settings match if your on adsl http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

My Hub 4 has updated it's firmware twice since it was installed.
Currently on BT Home Hub 4 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.10 | Last updated 29/05/13. I've had since March, I think - can't find the correspondence atm...
Shades

Hi J
As a PlusNet user with HH4 up & running, how do you turn off the WiFi (WiFi-Fon), from BT forums it looks like you need to Opt Out but as I'm not a BT (internet / broadband) customer how / why would I need to, I have disabled both 2.4 & 5 Ghz wireless, but hub still shows WiFi Active
Only using this HH4 as my PN supplied Thompson refuses to connect better than 800k and I've not seen download speed above 650k (on an "upto" 8mb service) in three months. so far HH4 is not doing any better but "maybe" thats down to loss of connection whilst routers were swapped (another week before will tell)
nanotm
Pro

you would need to hack the home hub,
there's various methods for doing this but they all come with disclaimers about it possibly not working and of course there being zero firmware updates available after doing it.
if you don't need wifi I would buy a router without the wifi built-in and save all the trouble, theres plenty of decent options out there some of them also support line tweaking (if your into that sort of thing) but i'd suggest steering away from second hand kit, unless you don't mind having to buy cheap buy often ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

To disable the open wifi, do a FACTORY reset on it (either from the web page or hold in the reset button for 30sec when powering on). Then when it comes back up connect it to the PN line ONLY never to a BT line first. This will disable the open wifi. (At least it does of HH3's 4's should be the same)
Shades

I may well (will) use the wireless but don't want to supply a Free HotSpot for BT users
Having had this boxx a few days now I'm getting less happy with it, no good stats past Up/Down line speed, no:SNR, Attenuation, session logs