cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT FTTC £100 install charge.

seanbranagh
Grafter

BT FTTC £100 install charge.

I fully understand that regardless of ISP, Openreach charge £100 to install FTTC including the physical install, the engineer visit and the VDSL modem.
My question is this;
I moved to an address that was already installed with BT infinity.
That account was moved to another address leaving the line free here for me to migrate my existing ISP from my old address.
I am migrating to FTTC at this address on the same physical line that previously had BT infinity up until December 28th. Everything is already installed, the filtered faceplace etc. and I am assuming the line would clearly still be physically connected to the fibre equipment at the local cabinet. I even already have a VDSL modem all connected and ready to go.
Why therefore would I have to pay BT £100? I have made it clear to them that FTTC has already been installed on the line but they will just not budge on this.
What exactly is the engineer going to do when he gets here tomorrow apart from have a cup of tea and talk about the weather?
Is there a good reason why BT are operating like this or is it just a money making scheme on their part?
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: BT FTTC £100 install charge.

Does the BT (VDSL2) modem have a DSL light on?  It could have been disconnected at the cabinet end, if still connected the modem should still sync (even if there's no further connection at the other end of the Fibre).
My guess is that BT want to keep things 'simple' and just apply a 'blanket charge' whatever the case.  If you move suppliers with FTTC I think they all insist on the minimum contract length (as with a new install) even though there's no installation costs to recoup, I'm sure this will change in time.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
seanbranagh
Grafter

No, the DSL light is off which I did find strange.
Surely they could just have deactivated this remotely on the 28th though without actually having to send someone out to the cabinet?
If so, they could have just reactivated it remotely for my connection?
I honestly don't know how they activate and deactivate these connections but I suppose I could ask the engineer tomorrow to satisfy my curiosity.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It looks like it is going to be physical work done either at the exchange or the cabinet, when the line has ceased there may have been a physical disconnection.
Estragon
Rising Star

@Sean
I'm confused by your switch from talking about Openreach, to talking about BT.
I get the impression from the fact you are posting here that you are migrating Plusnet FTTC from your previous address to the new one..  As you almost certainly cannot have been discussing this with Openreach, I can only think you have been talking to BT Retail.
In which case getting nonsense answers isn't at all surprising.
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: chrispurvey
It looks like it is going to be physical work done either at the exchange or the cabinet, when the line has ceased there may have been a physical disconnection.

Chris
I know the OP was referring to BT's charges, but is £100 the standard charge for all Plusnet's fibre installations?

Boz
Estragon
Rising Star

The Plusnet fibre installation charges are shown on this page. Make sure you scroll down past the ADSLx ones. £50 >> 0 depending on options.
The Openreach charge to Plusnet is £92.
That £92 is ex Vat. Which is what PN will work from. The £50 is inc Vat = £41.67 ex Vat.
So Plusnet are charging the user half what they charged by Openreach.
Boz
Rising Star

Quote from: Estragon
The Plusnet fibre installation charges are shown on this page.

Thanks for the link.
If I'm reading the Fibre Charge table correctly, it would appear that, moving from Plusnet Extra with Home Phone to Plusnet Fibre with Home Phone, the fibre installation charge is zero.
Have I missed some hidden cost ?

Boz
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

You've got it spot on Boz, £0 activation fee when you have the home phone.