Grafter

Re: BT Broadband Accelerator socket Free*

Glad I dont have to worry, I dont have a master socket to fit it to
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: puddy
All my BT internal extension had been carried out by BT but £1.20 for a BT i-plate seems very good value to me to see if works if not stick it back on ebay.

You would sell something that you got for nothing? Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The product only costs £5.86 including postage to those without BT Total Broadband.
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-iplate---bt-broadband-accelerator-58LT.html
Note the warning that it is only suitable for use with certain types of master socket.
http://www.shop.bt.com/articles/promotions/product-promotions/bt-i-plate---will-it-work-for-me--5124...
For those who gave me a hard time on this product BT do say that even if you have a new openreach type master socket the new Accelerator socket will help stabilise your connection!

The BT Shop site (see above) says that the product is NOT suitable for use with master sockets bearing the Openreach logo.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

NOT suitable = waste of effort; the circuitry is already included in those.  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: alanf
The BT Shop site (see above) says that the product is NOT suitable for use with master sockets bearing the Openreach logo.

That's probably because you don't need it as the Openreach branded NT5's already have the relevant additional circuitry incorporated within - at least I'm reasonably sure that's the case anyway. There's certainly 1 or more extra components and what looks very suspiciously like an additional filter/choke that's not present in the BT original.
My guess would be that what you're actually getting here is the removable plate that is and always has been supplied as standard with Openreach branded NT5's. I also think that the modification is just an HF choke on the AT line from memory but I may well be wrong so stand by to be corrected as/when/where necessary ! Either way, the end result is not that dissimilar to disconnecting the AT line although older phones and modems should still work satisfactorily with the AT line being filtered whereas they very often wont if it is simply removed so you would have to 'regenerate' it locally by using a Master Socket rather than an Extension Socket in such instances.
Edit: Hmmmm, clearly a case of less tea supping, less munchies consumption and more typing effort required in order to avoid others posting much the same info while I'm still getting around to it !

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
Wheel_nut
Grafter

I ordered 1 last night and I am with Plusnet otherwise I would not have placed the offer on a plusnet forum
Plusnet users CAN order them!!!
Try it yourself
Puddy
Response (SARAH LOUISE REYNOLDS) - 28/08/2009 01:19 PM
Dear Mr ****,
Thank you for your recent BT Broadband Accelerator order.
We’ve now completed your order and you’ll receive your BT Broadband
Accelerator in the post within the next 7 days.

Bummer! I tried ordering an I-Plate and despite receiving the order confirmation, I later got the following email:

Thank you for placing an order on bt.com. Please see the details
below.
If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it
within the next 7 days.
Thank you for choosing BT
Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Your BT.com order to agent : BT Broadband Accelerator

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (LISA MCALINDEN) - 28/08/2009 06:35 PM
Dear Mr xxxxxxx,
Thank you for your recent BT Broadband Accelerator order.
According to our records you are not a BT Total Broadband customer. As this offer is limited to BT Total Broadband customers only this request will not be progressed.
You can buy a BT Broadband Accelerator - also known as an "I-Plate" - at the online BT Shop. Please see www.shop.bt.com/iplate for details.
Or if you would like to order BT Total Broadband please go to www.bt.com/btbroadband
Best wishes,
LISA MCALINDEN
BT.com Orders Team
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: mikeb
Either way, the end result is not that dissimilar to disconnecting the AT line although older phones and modems should still work satisfactorily with the AT line being filtered whereas they very often wont if it is simply removed so you would have to 'regenerate' it locally by using a Master Socket rather than an Extension Socket in such instances.

If you're using an I-plate, you still need a microfilter, or filtered socket, for every phone, and unless it's a really cheap and nasty one, it will do the 'regeneration'.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If a filter doesn't regenerate the bell signal it should be consigned to the bin, for all sorts of good reasons.  Angry
VileReynard
Hero

I bought an i-plate and it helped my connection Smiley
It stops any electrical rubbish on your extensions feeding into your ADSL signal by means of some kind of internal filter.

itsme
Grafter

How does that work? If the iplate split the adsl signal from the POTS then a low pass filter can be place on the POTS side to stop high frequencies getting on to the ADSL path and therefore the ADSL modem has to plugged into the iplate/master socket and none of the extensions can be used for ADSL. But if the iplate has been designed so that the ADSL modem can be plugged into any of the extensions then no filtering can be used on the A/B pair to remove noise.
The only filtering is on the ring wire and it's cheaper just to remove this than buying an iplate.
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: 4Candles
If you're using an I-plate, you still need a microfilter, or filtered socket, for every phone, [correct] and unless it's a really cheap and nasty one, it will do the 'regeneration' [of the AT signal]

Quote from: HPsauce
If a filter doesn't regenerate the bell signal it should be consigned to the bin, for all sorts of good reasons.  Angry

I'm not going to say the above statements are definitely wrong as I haven't even seen let alone used or know exactly what's inside a microfilter ... however, I am going to say that I find it somewhat difficult to believe.  It's been a very long time since I was involved in telecom design but from my (often poor) memory, the AT line is/was derived using a 1.8uF capacitor and a 47K resistor in the Master Socket. In an NT5 this will be in the part that's permanently fixed to the wall and NOT in the removable plate.
The reason I doubt that any microfilter can regenerate the AT line 'officially' is simply because of the physical size of the components that are typically required. A suitably rated 1.8uF capacitor for instance is getting on for the size of your little finger ! OK, maybe not quite that big, perhaps about half as long but around the same diameter. It's by no means a small beast that's for sure even given modern production methods etc. I therefore find it quite hard to believe that a microfilter can contain much in the way of LF circuitry in general simply because of the physical size constraints.
Of course, there are no doubt various other ways of satisfying older equipment that thinks it really 'needs' the AT line connected so maybe something else is implemented in a typical microfilter in order to try and 'fool' older equipment into working but I really can't see an appropriate 1.8uF cap being shoehorned in there !  Any alternative to the 'official' method is not necessarily guaranteed to work in all instances of course but having said that, I doubt any reasonably modern equipment cares too much whether the AT line is present or not and if so, exactly how it's being generated. There are only likely to be issues with pretty old stuff in general.
I think I would expect a microfilter to simply contain HF filtering to severely attenuate DSL signals on the 'phone socket rather than do anything much in the way of LF stuff. As always, I may well be wrong and stand by to be corrected and all that ! Just out of morbid curiosity, I'd certainly be very interested to see a schematic of a typical microfilter if anyone has any reliable info lying around.
I'd certainly put (a quite considerable sum of) money on the revised design of the removable plate for an NT5 simply containing a choke (inductor) in the AT line and nothing much else. Although It would have to be a somewhat lesser sum of money on a microfilter containing simply HF filtering just to keep non-voiceband signals from reaching the phone and nothing much else - even though I can't think how/why there could be anything else in there.

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Mikeb,
Most microfilters DO regenerate the ring signal and they do have the ring capacitor and resistor built into the shell. Since the NTE5 faceplate has the Metrosil surge suppressor built in, this is not replicated. The 1.8uF capacitor is a polyester (Chicklet) type and fits inside the filter case.
ADSLNation have pictures of most Microfilters on their site here http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: itsme
How does that work? If the iplate split the adsl signal from the POTS then a low pass filter can be place on the POTS side to stop high frequencies getting on to the ADSL path and therefore the ADSL modem has to plugged into the iplate/master socket and none of the extensions can be used for ADSL. But if the iplate has been designed so that the ADSL modem can be plugged into any of the extensions then no filtering can be used on the A/B pair to remove noise.
The only filtering is on the ring wire and it's cheaper just to remove this than buying an iplate.

Yes - you are right about what it does.
It's less nerve-wracking than identifying the bell wire though.

mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: Wheel_nut
ADSLNation have pictures of most Microfilters on their site here http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php

Interesting, thanks very much for the link Smiley Seems to me like 1-pair cabling is all that's really necessary then providing you don't acquire any dodgy, poorly manufactured or otherwise blatantly wrong microfilters to use around the house !  The shiny new NTE5 faceplate isn't doing anything that a pair of wire cutters can't do better Tongue and providing that your microfilters are up to the job then you don't need to change to Master Sockets at extensions either.
I've only ever had the A/B pair routed round the place with additional filters various and master sockets as and where required even long before DSL because I had shedloads of problems with vast amounts of picked up HF on the line generally screwing some stuff up.  Now I have a filtered faceplate on the NTE5 but still only route the voice A/B pair over Ye Olde wiring with just about all of the old filtering and no end of other rubbish still in-situ it has to be said !  Never gives me any grief at all these days mind you.