cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT 1800 Router and sync speed

Pheasantplucker
Grafter

BT 1800 Router and sync speed

Hi all, I;m sure someone out there has either had this problem or knows of a possible solution.
Using a BT 1801 HG wireless router with wndows Vista home premium.
My router syncs at around 4500 for a few days but then drops suddenly to around 3450. It stays at the lower speed unless i re boot the router. As soon as the router re boots speeds come back up to the higher rate.
It has nothing to do with Vista because it was the same when running XP.
Can anyone tell me, should it or is it usual for this to happen. If not, does anyone know of a fix???
Thanks in advance
Richard
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: BT 1800 Router and sync speed

Yep.  It's nothing to do with the version of Windows you are using because the sync speed only varies from the router to the exchange.
It could be a number of other things though.  It could be a duffish router, poor filtering, poor internal wiring, issues on your line or the exchange.
I'd initially recommend using a different filter and ensuring that you are connecting your router into a filter into your BT Master Socket.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Hi James, Thanks for the input.
I am currently connected to the master socket but do not need to use any filters as i have one of the BT master sockets that has an input straight to the dsl line.
Also tried another router albeit the same make/model......same results!.
Any other ideas would be very much appreciated though.
Regards
Richard
James
Grafter

Hi Richard,
In that case I reckon you're best of raising a fault via http://faults.plus.net
How often is the connection/speed dropping?
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Hi again James. This fault is occuring between 2 and 4 times per week. For example, had to re boot on Tuesday? to bring speed up again and then again this morning.
If I do raise a fault, i know i'll just get the usual response of "everything is ok, it MUST be your equiptment". Quite honestly i havn't got a lot of faith in the fault checker.
For what it's worth, If i use the plusnet speedchecker, the results are higher than if i use the BT speedtest. Only say this because when using XP the results were the oposite. With the old system i had used Dr TCP and changed a couple of settings. This probably has nothing to do with this "fault". Just thought i had better mention it.
Regards
Richard
James
Grafter

Thanks Richard,
I don't suppose you would have a friend with a different type of router to try using to see if it were to help with your fault?
You are right, a couple drops a week wouldn't really be treated by BT as a fault as they would look at your line and see it being connected fine.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Thanks James. You are correct5 of course. BT would not see any fault because it is intermittent.
I'll see if i can get another router to try and i'll get back on here with the results asap.
Thanks again
Richard
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The 1800HG  has a pretty good event log. If you go to http://home/mdc, enter the system password and then on the menu  on the LHS there are 2 useful links 'Event Log' and 'Detailed Log'. One of them ( I cant rember which ) should show you detailed information about the 'drops' or resync events. TBH the occasional drop sounds like a loss of noise margin causing the router to resync at a lower speed to maintain the target margin. Unfortunately it wont resync automatically when the margin recovers , you have to do it manually. Another good page on the LHS menu is 'DSL Diagnostics' it shows you all the DSL link retrains and the noise margins

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.