Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRAS profile stuck!

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

BRAS profile stuck!

I've raised a ticket about this but I'm getting nowhere fast. Is there a way I can force the profile to update by doing something my end?
I'm really getting annoyed at being stuck on 3mb when my sync has been at 6144kbps for over 4 days.
That's RPM to you!!
18 REPLIES 18
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BRAS profile stuck!

Hi RPMozley,
If you stay connected for 72 hours this should pick up. Your logs (below) show this hasn't happened yet.
Jojo Smiley
RPMozley
Pro

The PlusNet logs are inappropriate for my situation as they do not represent a sync log of my line. They only show a connection to the plusnet servers and nothing else.
I wish you wouldn't assume that this is a sync log as it quite clearly isn't.
I have sync logs for the past week and are as follows:
Tuesday Daytime:    Sync 3939 kbps (a roll over from a temporary line fault)
                    Attenuation 45.5 db
                    Noise Margin 13 db
Forced a resync:    Sync 6144 kbps
                    Attenuation 48.5 db
                    Noise Margin 6.0 db
Wednesday:  Sync 6144 kbps
            Attenuation 48.5 db
            Noise Margin ~6 db
Thursday:  Same as Wednesday
Friday: Still the same
No change in profile, contacted PlusNet of the problem.
Saturday Daytime:  Same
Forced a resync durning low noise time: Sync 6309 kbps
                                        Attenuation 49.0 db
                                        Noise Margin 6.0 db
Sunday: Sync 5876 kbps  (sometime early morning sync dropped as line was noisy)
        Attenuation 48.5
        Noise Margin ~6 db
Forced a resync during the daytime: Sync 5999 kbps
                                    Attenuation 48.5 db
                                    Noise Margin 6.0 db
Monday around 1am forced a resync durning noisy period: Sync 5799 kbps
                                                        Attenuation 48.5 db
                                                        Noise Margin 6.0 db
Current time:  Sync 5799 kbps
                Attenuation 48.5 db
                Noise Margin 6.8 db
Modem / router has been on and synced all the time (despite the connection logs to PlusNet) apart from the incidents detailed above. I don't see how a disconnect from the PlusNet servers indicates anything and why that would stop the profile info from being updated (profile data only comes from BT not a PlusNet connection). Also on previous ADSL1 I never had any problems with the profile not updating and nothing in the information does it say to remain "logged on" to PlusNet.
Surely it would be better to let routers log out from PlusNet to reduce contention but it doesn't help on having a quick diagnosis of the line's connection. Anyway, that's another issue.
From my information it would seem that the profile for my line is inaccurate, out of date, stale and other adjectives. What else can I do to convince PlusNet that there is a problem with the profiling on my line? Or should I just wait another three day for nothing to happen (leaving the router "logged in" all the time)?
While trying to post this message there was a problem with connectivity. This appears to be OpenDNS with a problem with their London servers, they have rerouted the problem and has nothing to do with my line connection.
That's RPM to you!!
matt_2k34
Grafter

Connectivity issue is currently under investigation, see here
Regards
RPMozley
Pro

Matt_2k34: Thanks for pointing me to that thread. Also I noticed your post in another thread that you're having a similar issue to me with slow profile not updating as it should do. Is there a way to view your delta report for the line in its raw form?
That's RPM to you!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unfortunately no and I have also had problems recently with the delta report either not being correct or not updating when it should
RPMozley
Pro

Well, I wonder if all these problems with delta reports getting stuck and not updating as they used to, have anything to do with the roll out of the new BT profiling system of 88.2%. Maybe in the process of updating their systems has broken the previously reliable profiling mechanism.
That's RPM to you!!
matt_2k34
Grafter

Possible, the delta reporting system should be updated to the 88.2% method by Dec 12th.
in the meantime that means theres still a month of the reports coming through incorrectly from what I can see.
Quote from: RPMozley
Is there a way to view your delta report for the line in its raw form?

I'd assumed that the profile had been updated PN end as it appears i had a PPP drop not a loss of sync, (e.g. PN terminated the connection), line reconnected straight away but at the slower speeds (i certainly didnt see the modem sync light go out..)
Regards
RPMozley
Pro

You might be on to something there about PPP drops. It's possible that PPP drops are being incorrectly seen as connection drops.
That's RPM to you!!
matt_2k34
Grafter

IIRC....At Plusnet's end, a PPP drop will cause you to be 'lost' from the Radius, therefore on the visual radius it looks like you've had lots of connection drops.
Note that PPP drops will not affect your IP profile, unless the PPP drop is caused by a flakey modem/router.
What router are you using? also the odd drop overnight isnt anything to majorly worry about and you may have to settle for a profile of ~5500kbps rather than 6000+
Should give you a reasonably good speed to stability ratio Smiley

Maybe in the process of updating their systems has broken the previously reliable profiling mechanism.

I had to just say that this has made me LOL at least once today. and re-reading it, i couldnt help but smile....  Grin
Regards
RPMozley
Pro

Quote from: Matt_2k34
What router are you using?

I'm using a Netgear DG834Gv4 with latest Netgear firmware. Oh what would I give for a profile of 5mb again, I could finally rest in peace.
That's RPM to you!!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Guys,
I can see what you're saying about our logs not necessarily reflecting loss of sync, but if your sync rate changes, then it has dropped sync. Sync rate can't change without a re-sync
@ RPMozley, I see you've said that your current sync rate is 5799, so I've set our profile to 5100. This will be close to what the BT IP profile will be for that sync. You should see the difference in the next 15 mins
Jojo Smiley
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi Guys,
I can see what you're saying about our logs not necessarily reflecting loss of sync, but if your sync rate changes, then it has dropped sync. Sync rate can't change without a re-sync
Jojo Smiley

Hi Jojo,
Does that comment only apply to ADSL?
I see a number of sync rate changes "on the fly" on my FTTC connection that are that quick that they don't register in your logs.
More often than not, the dynamically obtained IP address remains the same too.
Alex R is aware of this too as I have mentioned it in my currently open ticket.

Paul.
RPMozley
Pro

Quote from: Joanne
I see you've said that your current sync rate is 5799, so I've set our profile to 5100. This will be close to what the BT IP profile will be for that sync. You should see the difference in the next 15 mins

Thanks for that Jojo, RIP to me ;D. Oh and just to confirm BT IP profile is 5115 from their speedtester info.
That's RPM to you!!
matt_2k34
Grafter

I see a number of sync rate changes "on the fly" on my FTTC connection

If its genuinely "on the fly" that means SRA (Seamless Rate Adaptation) which is available on ADSL2 but not by BT, may be in use on FTTC?.. (but i doubt it.. Crazy)
What we were talking about is that because the "PPP" does not become 'up' then to PN it does not look like the sync has come back. This means that in that "PPP down" period, You could resync 1 or 837439843 times, it wouldnt matter, PN cant "see" that.
Regards