Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BGN,s

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Re: BGN,s

Thanks so much for that Dave Smiley
lol Im not sure if I should be happy or not, but the times I see on that graph co-indicide exactly to the times I was seeing it worst here.
Dave - it would be fantastic if you could somehow tie those graphs up & display in the EU's member center.  Think how much work it could save your CS and false finger pointing at PN.
dave dont BTw proactively monitor packet loss? they shouldnt need prompting to fix.

Yep they do monitor.  The idea is when it reaches 'x'% (cant recall of the top of my head) then this automatically triggers BT to order more capacity.  There will however be times when its possible for an interlap between the trigger and upgrade being completed.  Depends on how severe the issue is and whether its a case of lighting more.. or really bad if they have to pull another cable through Sad
That SVLAN looks like it was blue (significantly below the re-grade planning rule) in the report earlier this week. Unless it's now breached their planning rules, BTW need to be pushed to do something about it.

It only really started a couple of weeks ago (same time as the PN issue).. tbh its been bearable and I was just assuming it was related to the PN issue, so not said much.  Its only last night that it got stupid and really noticable. Sad
Having seen a couple of others on my forum also experiencing similar on PN, its only natural why the finger was pointing towards PN.
On the latest SVLAN report,

Are these reports available anywhere? or do you mean this
AndyH
Grafter

That Exchange Checker on Usertools should be removed as it doesn't work/hasn't been updated since January 2014/is for 20CN only.
I have a contact I can ask some info like this as BTW only share it to CPs. I think they must deem it commercially sensitive so they don't publish it.
The issue you're going to have is that the it's not being picked up by BTW at the moment. The idea of the threshold going to yellow (planning rule breached) is that the upgrades happen before end users see a degraded service, but there have been examples of end users already seeing a degraded service but BTW cannot see anything wrong their end - not quite sure how/why this happens. Assuming Sunday night is busy, it will be interesting to see if there is increased packet loss on your connection - do you have a TBB BQM and if so, can you see packet loss on that?
Unfortunately, I think it's unlikely this would be made available in the Member Centre - it's probably a huge amount of work to benefit a minority of customers.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: AndyH
..., but there have been examples of end users already seeing a degraded service but BTW cannot see anything wrong their end - not quite sure how/why this happens.

Andy,
How might one find out if the above applies here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128603.msg1157121.html#msg1157121 - See post #98 for the TBB BQM - it is horrendous but there are no reports of exchange congestion.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kitz
Aspiring Pro

I have a contact I can ask some info like this as BTW only share it to CPs

OK Cheers.  Thought I may have missed something.
The issue you're going to have is that the it's not being picked up by BTW at the moment.

Oh god - been there done it got the t-shirt.  This exchange has always been bad - Its why I used to have 20:1, then max-premium  Cry
This exchange was the first ever to suffer from contention back in the days when BT said it was impossible.    There was no monitoring at all back then.. and I wrote  something which ran on my PC and someone from BT used to ring me every day for my results.
Ive done a speedtest 27Mbps -  Im not going to do any more or I'll only get depressed lol
do you have a TBB BQM

Yep.  Live graph

and when it started {17th Sep}

can you see packet loss on that

As an aside - even way back in 2003 in the cases of severe congestion when speeds at times were as low as 28kbps (thats not a typo!) one of the things to not is that not one of the 30+ users on this exchange complaining of slow speeds ever saw any decrease in latency when doing a ping plot.
I think it's unlikely this would be made available in the Member Centre

I think its a fantastic idea  Cheesy  Just think anytime someone complains of slow speeds on here.. we could immediately direct them to the relevant area in the portal  Grin
leader
Grafter

to suffer from contention back in the days when BT said it was impossible

Sadly they still do  as BT Chief Network Architect highlighted earlier this year.   Lips_are_sealed  { No giggling at  that back  you LINX bunch of trouble makers}  Grin
Also asked last year for more advance features in member centre.   Suggested it as  pro add-on for revenue generation.
Unfortunately PN don't  see value in " clueless" type users.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Andy,
How might one find out if the above applies here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128603.msg1157121.html#msg1157121 - See post #98 for the TBB BQM - it is horrendous but there are no reports of exchange congestion.
Kevin

Hi Kevin
It looks like Adam has checked the BTW report - but those graphs don't look consistent with congestion. Normally with congestion you expect to see distinguished peak periods of a graph, like around 09:00-10:00, 15:00-17:00 and 19:00-23:00. I would be interested to see if a lift and shift helps here.
Quote from: Webif
Sadly they still do  as BT Chief Network Architect highlighted earlier this year.  Lips_are_sealed  { No giggling at  that back  you LINX bunch of trouble makers}  Grin

The LINX IRC log of that discussion is floating around somewhere  Roll_eyes
Quote from: kitz
OK Cheers.  Thought I may have missed something.

It wouldn't be a huge amount of use if it's published - unless you know which SVLAN you're actually on though because you need to know which SVLAN you're on. Sometimes BTW will move users around on them also.
Ive done a speedtest 27Mbps -  Im not going to do any more or I'll only get depressed lol

I know the feeling.
A lot of speed testers are multi-threaded (like the BTW one) and don't show the full extent of the problem.
I would raise it as a fault in the meantime as you're going to be below the BTW acceptable threshold for your connection.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

I would raise it as a fault in the meantime as you're going to be below the BTW acceptable threshold for your connection.

and someone will just laugh and take no notice at all.
It wont matter that my http downloads are at 27Mbps...  because the first thing I get asked will be to do is a BTw performance test
lot of speed testers are multi-threaded (like the BTW one) and don't show the full extent of the problem.

EXACTLY!!  Here we go "Download speed (Mbps 😞 74.15
Problem?  What Problem?Huh
Yet come to do anything other than a speedtest and Im crippled.
Its now 10:30 and things arent as bad as earlier.. but look Im still getting way less than I should be.  This includes tcp/ip overheads and at 26Mbps that isnt too much more than when I was on adsl2+ annexM  Undecided
I havent got a cat in hells chance of getting anywhere with this - no one will believe what Im seeing because of the BTw performance test being multi-threaded.
What can I do about it?  Nada!

TBB speedtest so you can see what a difference multi-threading makes.

chrcoluk
Grafter

by monitoring I meant monitor packet loss, not threshold's.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
by monitoring I meant monitor packet loss, not threshold's.

Isn't utilisation the way it's monitored?
I havent got a cat in hells chance of getting anywhere with this - no one will believe what Im seeing because of the BTw performance test being multi-threaded.

I would still raise it as a fault because you're paying for a degraded service. This is classed as a fault under the SLA for FTTC.
On the ticket, if you direct them to dave's post, then they should be able to send over their monitoring data to BTW. Some people in the fault's team know all about this and know exactly what to do. The problem is that if it's not reported, it will more than likely get progressively worse and it just delays getting it fixed.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Thanks so much for that Dave Smiley
lol Im not sure if I should be happy or not, but the times I see on that graph co-indicide exactly to the times I was seeing it worst here.
Dave - it would be fantastic if you could somehow tie those graphs up & display in the EU's member center.   Think how much work it could save your CS and false finger pointing at PN.

If that is the cause then that does at least make sense, 80Mbps fibre doesn't need that much packet loss to halve the speed. I'll speak to BT and see if they've seen anyone else reporting problems.
I'd love to put the graphs on the website, or at the very least available for the support guys but they do need some interpretation, a graph can look horrid but it doesn't mean there's a problem. The quality graph is measuring TCP transmits, so if no-one's doing any TCP traffic then you don't have any data.
dave dont BTw proactively monitor packet loss? they shouldnt need prompting to fix.

Yeah they do monitor and most of the time people never notice as the upgrades happen silently in the background but occasionally there are faults and delays and sometimes people will notice a slowdown but the speed is still within the design of the product.

Are these reports available anywhere? or do you mean this

We tend to only post the exchanges which are most affected, the full list would be a bit meaningless as you could have an exchange with over 1000 people on it but only 10 are affected by a particularly problem. You wouldn't want to give a false impression to the 990 who were unaffected by a problem for example but we can check internally.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
kitz
Aspiring Pro

If that is the cause then that does at least make sense, 80Mbps fibre doesn't need that much packet loss to halve the speed. I'll speak to BT and see if they've seen anyone else reporting problems.

Cheers dave, appreciated.  Its been pretty p00 each evening now for the past week...  tonight Im seeing circa 26Mbps, but it spikes all over the place anywhere from 20Mbps to 36Mbps max
TBH though Im not doing too many speedtests as I dont see the point in getting stressed out over it - I have other stuff on - so I only notice when Im actually downloading anything or using FTP to the site and I dont need the hassle right down of someone from BT telling me theres nowt wrong.   It was bad enough when I had a genuine line fault..  nvm trying to prove a speed issue which doesnt show on the BTw speedtest  Sad
You know this exchange history and how garbage it can be.. and why I always used to be on maxpremium or 20:1.  I guess I didnt think that it would also affect 21CN big fat pipes - I thought getting rid of the old VPs was meant to solve things.  Sad

--
edit - didnt mean to fall fowl of the censor!