cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBYW Option 2 v PAYG

dgp
Rising Star

BBYW Option 2 v PAYG

Hi - I know this has been mentioned many times in the past, but the last mention I can find was in August 2007.
I am still on PAYG, but my usage has increased significantly since 4oD and BBC i-Player and the eldest daughter has left school and gone to 6th Form College (do they ever do any work???).  So the cost difference compared to BBYW Option 2 is now nearly £4 a month. 
Am I one of the few still on PAYG Huh  Has anyone regretted changing from PAYG to BBYW Option 2??.
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
LiamM
Grafter

Re: BBYW Option 2 v PAYG

Do you do a lot of Peer-2-Peer downloading or use Binary Usenet at all?  If you don't know what I mean then the chances are you don't... in which case you probably won't notice a lot of difference moving to BBYW Option 2.
On BBYW, speeds for bandwidth intensive applications such as P2P / Binary Usenet (and some others all explained here : http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#Option2speeds) are rate limited at busy times.  Web browsing and streaming (such as iPlayer / 4oD etc..) should still perform the same.
Because with PAYG you are paying for exactly what you use, and at a higher cost, all applications are prioritised so you get maximum speed even when the network is at it's busiest.
Hope that helps.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have just been doing a bit of digging as this interests me as well.
There appears to be a discrepancy in the information provided.
The following pictures are taken from these links
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/traffic_prioritisation.shtml
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/broadband_your_way/experience/speed.shtml#Option2spee...
There is an obvious discrepancy in the download speeds for FTP - which is correct as there is no way 256 kbps can be classed as gold
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I switched from PAYG RIN to BBYW option 2 soon after it came out, on the grounds of increasing traffic and have no regrets.
My download speeds (per speedtest.net) with PAYG wavered around 6,900 - 7,000 kbps, my usual now is around 6,400 - 6,600 kbps.
My main traffic is VoIP (upload - highest priority, 100 kbps allocated), e-mail (upload - medium priority, 100 kbps allocated) and www (upload - low priority - 100 kbps allocated) and regularly download iPlayer, off-peak, very satisfactorily.
Regards....Noel
Be3G
Grafter

Oldjim:
Traffic prioritisation and rate limiting are two different things - confusing, I know. The best way of thinking about it is that rate limiting affects download speeds, whilst traffic prioritisation affects ping times. So what PlusNet are saying is that when using external FTP on BBYW2, the upload/download speed won't be very high, but it'll still be very responsive with small ping times.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I understand what you are saying but for the new user following the links from the signup page they get the traffic prioritisation page but trying to get to the expected speeds is much more difficult - in fact I had to use the search option to find it.
So the new user will see that FTP is gold and described as
Gold  Priority non-time critical traffic: e.g. surfing, email and streaming media
However the next section states
Silver  Non-time critical traffic: e.g. file downloads, P2P, Binary USENET and FTP traffic for Broadband Your Way customers
but this completely conflicts with the table underneath. which states that FTP - is gold for both PlusNet and non PlusNet sites. There used to be a clear differentiation between PlusNet FTP and non PlusNet FTP but this has vanished
James
Grafter

Thanks Jim.
Perfectly valid feedback.
I've raised a problem (49984) to our content team to reflect this on our support pages.