Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBYW Option 2 - considering move to Plusnet Value

hop
Grafter

BBYW Option 2 - considering move to Plusnet Value

Hi all.
I've been receiving a £3 per month discount for the last year (in return for a 12 month contract). It's just come to an end and I'm not sure what to do. I initially thought Premier was the obvious choice but I missed the fact it's £15.99 not £11.99. The options appear to be:
1) Stay as I am (BBYW Option 2, 15Gb usage, £14.99)
2) Move to Premier (80Gb, £15.99).
3) Move to Value (10Gb, £5.99)
My usage hovers just under 10Gb each month, always just under with a few Gb of planned downloads done overnight.
Can someone on Value tell me what it's like? Is it fast enough at peak times etc? We have a busy household with lots of use late afternoon & evening time, mainly surfing, some iPlayer, etc. Some working from home during the day too. A little use of external FTP.
Will I be happy with Value or should I pay the extra for Premier?
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
acorns
Grafter

Re: BBYW Option 2 - considering move to Plusnet Value

I think you mean 'Premium' rather than 'Premier'  Smiley
For the type of usage you describe I looks like Value might suit your needs.
The only thing I can think of that might make a difference is whether you already have and would still require a static IP address or not. If you already have one on BBYW and move to Value then you would lose this, but you wouldn't on Premium. Probably not an issue if you are not involved in logging into your home system from the wider Internet, and there are always Dynamic DNS services available anyway if you are.
HTH.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Wrong - a move to value would not lose the fixed ip address.
hop
Grafter

Thanks for the info - sounds like it's worth a try.
acorns
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Wrong - a move to value would not lose the fixed ip address.

I'm only going by info available at http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/IP_addresses_broadband.shtml. It may be the case that transferring from another product with a fixed IP already in place would retain it, but that's not immediately obvious from the available info. What happens if you disconnect and reconnect?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is not relevant.
It has been stated many times on here  that when you transfer from an older product you can keep all the extras such as web space, fixed IP, fax etc.
acorns
Grafter

Sorry, I'm only trying to help. I wont bother in future.
You obviously have more knowledge on this than me, but I have to be honest and say that I find the brevity and manner of your replies bordering on rudeness. Ironic coming from a moderator.  Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you've given 1/10 as much help to other users as Jim as given you might be in a position to make such a comment.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hop
Grafter

I appreciate everyone's help 🙂
I didn't know about keeping the Static IP, so that's a bonus. I've also got a few domains hosted, but I knew I would keep those & the webspace.
Thanks again.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi
I moved from BBYW 2 to value, and to be honest not noticed much difference, except recently been sorting a few peoples laptops, and downloading updates in the evening takes a but longer, particularly DELL drivers, as it looks like these are classified as FTP. Not much of a big downloader myself, but browsing and other stuff such as streaming seems OK.  IIRC if you move, and find it not to your liking CSC will move you back within a month, but please anyone correct me if I am wrong..  I would give it a go, see what you think.  Overnight download should be unaffected by traffic management.