cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBYW Option 1 - Very Slow Downloads

Wheel_nut
Grafter

BBYW Option 1 - Very Slow Downloads

I was on my daughter's connection, downloading 19MB from the TomTom site. It was the TomTom Home2 Program and it took over 15 mins to download the 19MB file. This was at around 3pm today, Saturday10 January 2009.
By contrast, the same update came down my Newnet connection in under a minute.
Is this what is expected on BBYW Option 1?
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: BBYW Option 1 - Very Slow Downloads

I wouldn't have expected it to have been that slow.
I'm not sure whether the TomTom site will be classified as a download site, but even so, there shouldn't be rate limits applied at that time of day.
bobboulby
Grafter

I have found that updates through TomTom Home are always appallingly slow although I'd always put this down to inefficient software or limitations at the TomTom end. I've just learned to live with it - it can often take 30 minutes to bring my TomTom up to date.
I'm on BBYW Option 2 by the way.
Bob
bobboulby
Grafter

Your post reminded me to update my TomTom which I hadn't done for some time.
I was prompted to update the TomTom Home software to v2.5.2.60 which I did. Following this the update went trough in less than 5 minutes, so maybe this latest software version solves some of the performance issues. It still runs my PC at 100% CPU though.
Bob
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Bob,
It was the TomTom Home 2 Program update that took 15 mins to download. How long did it take for yours?
James, Thanks for the response. I did wonder whether the TomTom site was mis-configured in the Ellacoya profile.
R
bobboulby
Grafter

The actual download is usually pretty quick (less than a minute). It's the updating that seems to take a long time and hits the CPU.
It might be worth checking that you are on the latest version of the "Home" software to see if that makes any difference.
Bob
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Bob, The device update was fairly quick. It is the download of the 19MB TomTom Home 2 Software that took over 15 minutes. Yes, I now have the latest level.