cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iPlayer HQ Streams

David_W
Rising Star

BBC iPlayer HQ Streams

I was just on the BBC iPlayer site and on clicking "My Family" it appears that they have a Beta for High Quality which requires at least 1Mbps connection.  It actually ran quite smooth and without the usual artefacts from the normal quality that they have been using.
Are PN ready for the increase in bandwith that this is going to bring?  I ran the show in both NQ and HQ settings with Windows Taskmanager on the bandwith usage setting and it came out looking like so:

The first ups and downs are in NQ, as you can see it spikes up, then drops off, spikes up, drops off all very quickly, the traffic is in short bursts.  The 2nd part of the graph is the HQ setting, it has the same spikes, but instead of instantly dropping back down, the spike has to stay up longer to get the data from the stream.
Are PN seeing an increase in iPlayer traffic as people use the Beta service?  Does PN have the bandiwth to cope if the BBC start to put everything on a HQ option?  How much extra bandwith does the HQ setting take?  From just looking it looks like you may need 3 times as much?  Though thats just eyeballing the graph.
16 REPLIES 16
James
Grafter

Re: BBC iPlayer HQ Streams

artificer
Grafter

it would probably be even more if us linux folks were able to use the facility.  at present the british (public service broadcasting) outfit has seen fit to exclude us.
Firejack
Grafter

I gave the High Quality stream a try the day it was announced. Only appears to be a small improvement to me. Though its good to see the BBC keeps improving iPlayer, even if it is a little at a time Smiley
From the Blog posts I bet Dave T walks up in the night screaming and sweating wondering how much bandwidth the monster that is iPlayer is going to eat the next day on the Plusnet network  Cheesy
James
Grafter

Thanks to Mr. Bolt, we've just peaked at 875Mbps.
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Thanks to Mr. Bolt, we've just peaked at 875Mbps.

Not for long though I suppose, given the speed that he runs at!!
James
Grafter

True.
He's just run off with 200Mbps of iPlayer traffic Smiley
puddy
Grafter

My new laptop has a HDMI socket so if I download the bbc i player program in HD then plug my laptop in to my HD TV will it play it back in HD?
puddy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: artificer
it would probably be even more if us linux folks were able to use the facility.  at present the british (public service broadcasting) outfit has seen fit to exclude us.

Have a look at http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/Beebhack
Works in any OS.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

artificer
Grafter

thanks axisofevil.  i'll put in a package request and maybe one of our packaging gurus with roll us an nice .rpm we can install with synaptic.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's only a perl script  Smiley
http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer/get_iplayer

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Heloman
Grafter

Lol!. Its only a perl script?
You might as well be speaking Chinese AFAIAC  Sad
With PCLOS I can happily stream iPlayer, but it would be handy to ba able to d/l. Is there any easy way for a Dummy to do that?
MickKi
Grafter

It is (I guess) easier than learning Mandarin:  http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer/README.txt
In a nutshell:
1. You download the script
2. You make it executable.
3. You run it:  get_iplayer --get http://blah.blah.blah/b00d2xmp/
If you want a GUI you could try this:  http://po-ru.com/projects/iplayer-downloader/
If all of the above is too difficult you can either wait for someone to create an automated build for the lot (rpm, or debian) or perhaps you could buy me a beer next time I am in the neighbourhood?  Smiley
artificer
Grafter

you got your beer any way.  when you visiting london?
MickKi
Grafter

Big Smog, here I come!  Perhaps we should set up a LAN party at the local pub (after we convince them to become PN customers and install an open AP) and have a regular sesh once a month or so for all PN forum members?  Cool
HEALTH WARNING:  Don't drink and post!  Crazy