Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC News 24

SparckZero
Grafter

BBC News 24

Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone else is having trouble watching BBC News 24 online this morning? I've tried both the BBC News Website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7459669.stm) and on iPlayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlive/bbc_news24/) - all that appears is the loading screen. I can stream other channels without issue, but not News 24. I've tried on 2 different computers in 2 different browsers - it just doesn't seem to want to work.
14 REPLIES 14
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: BBC News 24

Hi, both links are working ok for me.
Bob
scootie
Grafter

both sit with a spining circle and no throughput happening fullstop. there is the same still picture of the news reader on both links thoe
SparckZero
Grafter

Thanks Bob,
It's very strange - a router reboot and a computer restart haven't helped at all. The page loads fine, but the flash video just refuses to play (it's also strange that the image that appears "underneath" the loading screen has an out of date timestamp on it as well...see attached screenshot)
@ASBO DOG,
Is the newsreader the same guy that's in my screenshot? Which package are you on? I'm on Unlimited...
James
Grafter

On our office fibre connection, I'm also seeing the rotating circle of joy.
scootie
Grafter

yep thats what i get. 21cn, opendns, ie8
SparckZero
Grafter

Just tried it again, and it appears to be working now Shocked
scootie
Grafter

still broken for me  Huh
edit. spoke to soon
SparckZero
Grafter

It's all a bit weird...when it was broken for me I got a couple of other people from different ISPs to test and they could get it to work just fine. That said, I'm assuming that the PN fibre connection isn't routed in the same way as our ADSL connections, so I'm not sure what's going on Huh
EDIT: Just tried opening it again on a different PC and it's doing the same thing as before. I must have just been lucky to get it to work that one time =/
scootie
Grafter

how the bbc run the show is werid. because i remember my self geting sources of iplayer that wasnt picked up as streaming on the PN 21cn network yet all the girls and guys on 20cn was uneffected.
so its possable the other isp customers  was getting the stream from a diffrent ip address source
EDIT. yeah its gone back to doing the same again for me
SparckZero
Grafter

Possibly, yeah - I'm on 20CN and currently streaming from 195.245.125.20. According to Wireshark, traffic seems to be prioritised correctly (0x80).
mcgurka
Grafter

thought i'd throw my 2 cents worth in here, tried on 2 PN connections (was actually trying to watch it anyway) got spinning circles, before a message telling me there was insufficient bandwidth to play the file (there was plenty to spare, 4Mbit+ on each)
Switched to a TW line, and all plays ok?
Any thoughts?
SparckZero
Grafter

No idea what's going on - asked some more people on different ISPs to try that link and it works first time - I still get the spinning circle of doom. As ASBO DOG says, it must be to do with the IP address PN customers end up at for their streaming.
I've left it loading for a good 5 minutes now and don't get a "insufficient bandwidth" message - it just sits there and spins.
SparckZero
Grafter

Update: Looks like it's working fine for me now, although someone forgot to put the clocks back on their website I think... Grin
pullenuk
Grafter

Not working properly for me either, every 5/10 seconds get the circle briefly before it continues and I'm the only one using the net at the moment