w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: BBC DNS fubar / BBC vanishes from the net

Quote from: fourfourdevon
some government conspiracy

Unannounced cutbacks?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks Pierre, I just caught it a few minutes ago at the end on Newsnight so OK for the weather for now.
Bit worried about the BBC though, they must have massive backup / redundancy so it looks pretty ominous.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It must be all those correspondents being sent abroad... they have run out of money to feed the electricity meter.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Sorry to disappoint some people but the world has not ended just yet, as the BBC is back.
loungehake
Dabbler

Try OpenDNS and take advantage of its SmartCache feature.
I have never experienced the type of difficulties described in this thread since becoming an OpenDNS user.
See: -
http://www.opendns.com/support/article/317
http://blog.opendns.com/category/smartcache/
208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220        Magic!!!
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Really?
Cause the attached image (also attached to the OP) is from OpenDNS's CahceCheck feature and it clearly shows no BBC in OpenDNS's cache's.
Also, as you can see from the second image I have SmartCache enabled, as I did on the day, and it didn't help.
However, as the BBC actually vanished from the net as well as their DNS going fubar, even the DNS had continued to work perfectly there would still have been an outage.