cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC DNS fubar / BBC vanishes from the net

fourfourdevon
Grafter

BBC DNS fubar / BBC vanishes from the net

Anyone else notice the BBC has vanished off the net, generated all sorts of weird DNS errors.
20 REPLIES 20
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: BBC DNS fubar / BBC vanishes from the net

Yes, I just 'reported' that on the next post down (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94732.0.html), it wont ping either.
EDIT - added post URL
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ncalow
Dabbler

Same result here.  I thought it might have been me so rebooted the modem but no difference.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

yes, posts all over the net about it.
Looks like someone has either wiped all the DNS records (unlikely as they would be cached somewhere) or the BBC DNS servers have all failed (or a key bit of kit linking them to the net has).
Single point of failure comes to mind.... unless Anon are at it again!
w23
Pro

Where else can I get a decent local forecast for tomorrow ? Sad
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

http://uk.weather.com/weather/
much more accurate than the BBC one.
w23
Pro

Thanks Peter, I'd still like to access the Beeb website, anyone know the IP address?
Call me 'w23'
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I can't get any info on the BBC domain, not even what its nameservers are supposed to be.
If thats a failure, it would indicate much higher level DNS failure, which I very much doubt.
My suspects are catastrophic human error, or some form of cyber attack.  I will keep digging though, some of the errors I've had back are extremely strange, indicating DNS servers giving bad responses.
w23
Pro

Found it (I think): 212.58.239.25
BUT still doesn't work.
Call me 'w23'
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Fraser summed it up nicely...... "We're All Doomed"  Cheesy
w23
Pro

At least itv.com is still there so the less well educated will be OK  Crazy
Call me 'w23'
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
Found it (I think): 212.58.239.25
BUT still doesn't work.
The BBC has a massive number of IP addresses, and I suspect many of their internal systems expect to be able to talk to each other by web address, which with no name servers means that even internally to the BBC right now, their websites are down, it may be a day or two for the BBC to pick up and restore all of its services even after fixing this "DNS" issue.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

The BBC has been removed from the net altogether, their BGP announcements (telling the world how to connect to them) currently say there is virtually nothing to connect to.
Think Egypt a few weeks back, except I doubt this is some government conspiracy to try and suppress the masses.
The only IP block that the BBC is announcing at the moment is 132.185.144.0/20, which doesn't contain any of the BBC.co.uk DNS servers
w23
Pro

I guessed it would be more complicated, just tried an IP address off an old 'ping' I recorded.
Analogue is due to switch off in our region tonight, mybe someone pulled the wrong plug?Huh
Call me 'w23'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@Walker try the Met Office new site  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/