cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB speed changing products

JamesM
Grafter

BB speed changing products

I just had a qiuck look on the new residential products in the thought of changing because of the new home phone price increase. When I go through the steps it tells me what I am paying now and what I would be paying if I choose to swap. All that is clear, but the thing that is puzzling me is the download speed. My current D/L speed is classed as 10.5Mb/s, with a minumum of 8.5Mb/s and a maximum of 12.5Mb/s.
Now the new product says I will get an average speed of 7.5Mb/s. Is this figure arrived at because my line is deteriorating and if I do swap, then will this be my new average speed and I will get a new FTR of 5250.
As I see it, my speed at the moment of 8.2Mb/s is below the minimum average of 8.5Mb/s.
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: BB speed changing products

It's probably a load of rubbish
If you go here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and look at your estimated line speed it is probably the same
This is mine - not too accurate is it
Estimated line speed:
    1.5Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-09-13 11:07:31
Current line speed:
    4.3 Mb
JamesM
Grafter

Not very accurate at all

Estimated line speed:
    10Mb (This may vary between 8.5Mb and 12.5Mb) - Checked on 2012-09-13 20:42:51
Current line speed:
    8.9 Mb

Downstream  Upstream 
  Data rate(Kbps)                    11512            1219
  Noise Margin                              5                  6
  Output power(dBm)                  12                20
  Attenuation(dB)                          29                16
I am starting to loose my faith in PN.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I have replicated what you saw with the 7.5MB/s, this for some reason is showing you a 20CN profile. If you look to the right it will tell you your current line rate and states 10.5MB/s.
I will raise this with our web team to investigate. I can assure you that your speeds would be exactly how they are now if you were to change product, it would only be the product that would change.