cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Speed got slow, but line/BRAS seems OK ???

onionfx
Dabbler

BB Speed got slow, but line/BRAS seems OK ???

Hi Folks,
This past few days my connection has been really slow - like 0.12M on speedtest.net - where it is usually 4-6+ (never got in the 7s Sad  )
It also feels alot like 0.12M Sad
Have rebooted the router a few times and nothing has changed
Just checked with the BT tester and my BRAS profile is 7150k (I sync at 8128k or so).
The BT tester also reported 4741k - which is probably what I'd expect (and be happy with) on peak.
Some vital stats are reproduced below - but any help on diagnosing or possibly causes would be appreciated
I have checked my usage and am over 4Gb peak this month - could have I been heavily shaped by Plusnet (I can never remember my usage limit and can't seem to find it in the member centre)?
Thanks
BT Speed tester results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 4741 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Router DSL Line Info:
DSL Status:   	 Up  	   	 
DSL Modulation Mode:  GDMT  
DSL Path Mode:  INTERLEAVED  
Downstream Rate:  8128 Kbps  
Upstream Rate:  448 Kbps  
Downstream Margin:  7 db  
Upstream Margin:  26 db  
Downstream Line Attenuation:  33  
Upstream Line Attenuation:  16  
Downstream Transmit Power:  0  
Upstream Transmit Power:  0  
Encapsulation:  RFC 2364 PPPoA  
Multiplexing:  VC  
QoS:  UBR  
PCR Rate:  0  
SCR Rate:  0  
Autodetect:  Disable  
VPI:  0   
VCI: 38   
Enable:  Yes  
PVC Status:  Applied
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: BB Speed got slow, but line/BRAS seems OK ???

The peak time allowance for your account should be shown on the usage page. If not, what is your account type shown under account details -> account summary
What does the high speed broadband figure say (under connection settings on the member centre)? This is PlusNets data rate and should match the BT IP Profile.
onionfx
Dabbler

Thanks for the tips
High speed broadband
Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:

Looks good to me there
Really can't see a usage limit on the usage page, but my product is 'PlusNet Broadband Plus up to 8Mb'
A quick google reveals this link http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/broadband_plus_archive.shtml which has the info below and confirms my suspicions on the restrictions
Thanks again!
(I'll blame the wife...)
How much can I use?
Broadband Plus is designed for a maximum usage of 4GB peak times (4pm-Midnight) and 50GB offpeak (midnight-4pm) in any given month.
If your usage goes over 4GB per month during peak or 50GB off peak, your service will be heavily restricted until the start of your next billing month when your usage is reset. If you are downloading large files you should do this outside of the busy periods. If you want to download lots of music or video we recommend Broadband Your Way.

onionfx
Dabbler

Had a nice chat to the support lady
Seems I can't get a one off usage extension cos its an old product
Now, should I move to 'BB Value' with the longer peak times???
Any downsides apart from the peak time increase?
With this I should be able to add extra usage if required - and if it happens alot upgrade to Extra?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

With this I should be able to add extra usage if required - and if it happens alot upgrade to Extra?

I'd just be inclined to go straight for Extra, as long as your exchange is Market 3 its going to be cheaper ( £12.49) than your current BB Plus (£14.99? ). With 60GB peak usage allowance and free 12:00-8:00 usage you shouldnt then have to worry about exceeding your allowance.
Also, on Extra, you have the potential of ADSL2+ if your exchange has been upgraded to 21CN.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

onionfx
Dabbler

I'm Market 1, with no planned 21CN date Sad
I was on with the helpdesk this morning to see if a product change would clear my usage (its the 9th before it resets:( )
A change of product won't come into play until the 9th anyway - my invoice date.
They confirmed there is nothing they can do to get my speed back before then.
So I think I'll suck Value for a while and see - if I hit its limit I'll upgrade to Extra