cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Essential £6.99 ???

bobbygeorge
Grafter

BB Essential £6.99 ???

Just as a general observation I think the 'Essential Package' sales line on the website is very misleading.
http://www.plus.net/residential/?home=resindextop
the smallprint disclaimer at the bottom which states 'Broadband £6.99 + Phone £10 = £16.99 a month'  is easily missed. So why isnt this actual price shown on the main page since the BB part can't be sold seperately.
I only mention it because I almost fell for it when looking for a cheap basic package for a family member. I had to go back looking for the small print before I realised !!
37 REPLIES 37
geewizz
Grafter

Re: BB Essential £6.99 ???

The actual price for the broadband is £6.99. It is clearly stated that this is part of a package at £16.99 which gives you home phone and broadband.
The way it is laid out on the page you linked to is quite clear. The broadband products are shown with the price of each for comparison. The home phone price which is part of the "Essential" package is clearly shown and there is no attempt to mislead a purchaser.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually it is a bit misleading if you don't look at the small print at the bottom. You might think you are getting phone and broadband for £6.99 since the phone section is ticked in the comparison whereas it isn't in the other products
Wheel_nut
Grafter

I have to agree with the OP and disagree with Geewizz.
In the Row headed "Product Name and Monthly Cost", The Essential Package is priced at £6-99. It is not the Broadband component of the Essential Package that is priced at £6-99. Also note that the other "Options" are suffixed "Broadband" and not Package. It matters not that there is a symbol referring to the footnote! The layout of the table is intended to grab the attention of the reader with the £6-99 Price.
Also, the table has a LOUD Green tick indicating that Home Phone is included.
This is not what I expect of (the New) PlusNet.  You should not be proud of this!  Embarrassed  Cry Cry
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I agree with Jim & Wheel_nut, and the OP. Whichever way you look at it, it's hardly in the spirit of openness and transparency, for the reasons given above.
All four products are under the banner "Broadband Products". 'Essential' is a hybrid package, and should be labelled and marketed as such.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
RichRich
Dabbler

Well sadly enough honesty doesn't attract people.
I never really look twice at cheap offers since you always get what you pay for with broadband, if its cheap its likely overloaded and slow or comes with some draconian restrictions on usage.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: RichRich
Well sadly enough honesty doesn't attract people.

I'm surely not alone in being attracted to PN largely because of its honesty.
Unfortunately I think they've got it wrong on this one.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
scootie
Grafter

Agree abit  misleading all thoe i did spot the cross next to 6.99 staright away leaving me to look for the small print which is not to hard to find.
But think PN could easliy come up with somthing to replace the green tick on home phone.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

at least its not in the small print that other ISP's use to hook the poor old punter.  i.e. its only £5  then after 3 months £15
bobbygeorge
Grafter

but as I originally posted, The 'Essential' package should be advertised as £16.99 without any small print disclaimers as that is the cost per month!!!
it doesn't matter how much the BB (£6.99) part is as it can't be ordered on its own, so why advertise it.
Using that logic why not have the broadband element priced at £1.99 (surely even more attractive) and small print disclaimer state 'Broadband £1.99 + Phone £15 = £16.99 a month'
the end result is exactly the same, the package will still cost £16.99
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Actually it is a bit misleading if you don't look at the small print at the bottom.

Yes, that's true. Just as it would be misleading if you didn't read the prices, or you ignored the lines that make the boxes and seperate the packages.
Why would you not read the bit at the bottom of the box that is linked by the symbol next to the price? It's quite conventional to keep things neat and presentable using this method. I wouldn't call it small print either. On my screen it is a standard size of font for that page and I see from Oldjim's screendump that it appears the same on his browser too.
madjbright
Grafter

Quote from: bobbygeorge
why not have the broadband element priced at £1.99

Because the phone element can be ordered on its own for 9.99.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

In fact I think the price is wrong - it should be £7 not £6.99.
The apparently identical and mandatory phone package is £9.99 - or is there a subtle difference costing 1p?  Crazy
Apart from that it's pretty (blatantly?) obvious what it is.  Cheesy
geewizz
Grafter

The 1p goes towards the cost of the customer support staffing levels required to maintain a service for explaining the penny difference.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

[quote=geewizz]Why would you not read the bit at the bottom of the box that is linked by the symbol next to the price? It's quite conventional to keep things neat and presentable using this method..
the point he was making is a simple one  Roll_eyes .. and since the home phone 'tick' is already included would it not be clearer to state £16.99 in the 'MONTHLY COST' section !!!!
no need for any symbols then, surely much clearer or  'neat and presentable' as you say.