Grafter

Awful slow speed last few days.

Phone exchange:
LANGLEY MILL
Estimated line speed:
5Mb (This may vary between 3.5Mb and 7.5Mb) - Checked on 2011-03-31 19:05:38
Current line speed:
8 Mb
Speedtest is reporting 2.5-3mbps (normally comfortably 8-9) and its flucuatating all over the show.
My ping to Eve Online has doubled and I am constantly dropping out.
Test socket tested, modem rebooted etc.
I am currently not even able to stay connected to mumble on lowest settings.  Roll_eyes
Can someone please tell me what's happened to my otherwise excellent service?  Embarrassed Has my IP profile been changed or something or do I have a line fault of some sort?
How can I be sync'd at my usual 8mpbs but only be getting 2? Its gotta be isp issue then no?
Uptime:	0 days, 2:31:31
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,108 / 8,416
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 9,400
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 11.02 / 75.28
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.5 / 34.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.5 / 7.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 40 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 165,696 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1,281 / 3,307
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 8,107

Thanks.
PS: I'm not p2p'ing.
10 REPLIES 10
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Awful slow speed last few days.

What may have happened is that some temporary instability on your line has caused your IP Profile to be reduced.  In which case everything will return to normal in a few days time.  I cannot spot anything wrong with your router stats so nothing to suggest you still have a fault (except that the router uptime is only 2 hours and 30 minutes).
Your IP Profile is controlled by automated equipment in the telephone exchange.  It is nothing to do with your ISP except insofar as your ISP uses BT equipment.  Running a BT speed test (see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html ) will tell you what your IP Profile is, whilst the other link in the first post is to your Plusnet "IP Profile". 
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi reetpetite,
I've just been looking into things in a bit more depth. Although you have had a few disconnections, it doesn't seem to have affected the IP profile too dramatically. It's now showing as 7150, when before it was 8000. All tests I've conducted have passed. If you can run a BT speed test when this happens and try to see if there is a pattern in the times that it happens we can try to investigate this further. The results of the BT speed tester can be viewed by our supplier and faults team, so it's really helpful to have a log of that.
Jojo Smiley
reetpetite
Grafter

Yeah keeps disconnecting completely from your end. I just get dropped form mumble/eve. Pingplotter doesnt seem to make sense, it says there's 100% packet loss consistently at various points on the wan.  Cheesy
Thanks to the ReedRichards, I know what ip profiles are etc. I'm not a noob. Rest assured.  Grin
Here's the results from a bt speed test conducted at 23:10 tonight (2/8/11) and you can clearly see the issue I am describing (if not the problem)
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2934 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8631 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7615 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 334 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 443 Kbps

reetpetite
Grafter

I understand that 2-3mbps might be 'acceptable' and 'within limits' but it has never dipped below 8mbps in the last 8 months or so.
2-3mbps would not be 'acceptable' to me paying £25 a month tbh. So I hope we can fix this.  Grin
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Definitely looks like the connection is dropping. I can see you raised a fault but it looks to have been closed after a supplier issue in your area was resolved. If you run back through the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net we'll be able to get this investigated for you.
reetpetite
Grafter

Morning. I haven't raised a fault ticket personally, perhaps someone else did?
Supplier issue eh?
Here's this mornings results:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2132 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9400 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 443 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 8292 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 345 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 443 Kbps

Worse than peak time last night. I'm afraid I am still not able to enjoy a consistent connection to Eve or Mumble.
The troubleshooter you linked is hillarious.  Grin
Because you've said that your broadband is working, we're closing this ticket. If you have a problem with your broadband in the future, please use the Broadband Troubleshooter to report it.

Nice one!  Cheesy
Can someone at plus net please advise how I get my service restored? All local equipment and my line are fine. There is no noise, I am using the test socket, nothing has been changed here. I have flipped the filter and disconnected my telephone completely. VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as green. There is no reason (I am aware of) why my bandwidth should have dropped by 2/3.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see a fault was raised today but it's closed off because it was marked down as working? Unfortunately we can only accept a fault if that's been completed, though you could also call in and one of our support team will arrange things for you.
Which path did you run through to receive that answer? If you advise the fault type is dropping connection you shouldn't have any issues?
reetpetite
Grafter

I went through the fault wizard. (slow speed path)
It said since I was connected I had no fault.
I tried again and its asking me to try a different router. (connection drops path)
I don't have another router. If you want to send me one that's fine but I'm not in a position to shell out for one sadly.
I'm using the TG585 v8 with firmware version 8.2.7.7. I had tried updating the firmware previously but it would not flash - I tried it many times. That didn't fill me with confidence (it was the right image and bios update process, the rom just kept throwing faults). The modem worked fine for 6 months but the wifi and connection dropping have degraded steadily along with the speed, which is now dropping daily.
I'm not going to raise an engineering request at the risk of being charged - so that leaves the fault unresolved for the time being.
I'm obviously not a professional or expert but I think logic suggests that if the following are fine:
1. line
2. exchange
3. your gateway servers
4. the phone and filter
then 5. is that the router has gone bad.
Only you know the failure/fault rate of the  TG585 v8 so you are best placed to determine if that is likely I guess.
Can you please let me know what to do from here?

matt_2k34
Grafter

rrrrrrrrr-reet-petite! (sorry, wanted to contribute just for that  :D)
Unfortunately BT wont do 1,2,3,4, without you testing #5 first. Reason being doing 1-4 costs them money, and if your equipment is to blame, then obviously BT will want to pass this cost onto you (which is a ridiculous cost because no one else has access to the kit so they have to do it...  ::))
Can you please let me know what to do from here?

I would expect PN will send you out a test router, to rule out problems with yours.
I went through the fault wizard. (slow speed path)

logic suggests

Logic goes out the window, your dealing with BT  Cheesy

Personally, i'd of gone down the DCN (Dropping connection) path initially, but as you cannot swapout the router, id expect the same result.
I'll give Matt a poke if i can get hold of him and see if he can get something sorted for you
Regards
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi reetpetite,
I've just dropped you a PM, hope it helps some - please drop me a reply to it when you get chance, thanks very much.