cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful line speed, what can I do?

Vega
Rising Star

Awful line speed, what can I do?

After having a nice 6mbps ADSL2 connection previously, I recently did a house move and I'm really not a happy bunny. My profile is set at 1.5mb which I was kind of expecting after a long chat with a BT engineer about what cabinet my estate is hooked up to...
Anyway here's what's happening... I have no phones or anything else attached to the sockets in the house, I'm connected using the test socket behind the facia on the main socket in to the house. I'm pleasantly surprised having got a my router to sync at 2424kbps. However after doing some download tests, here's my awful result (I did a few, all much the same results).

..and router stats

Is there anything I can do, or am I simply stuck with this?
Matt
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Awful line speed, what can I do?

You are partly stuck with it but can you post the results of the BT speedtest and the Current Line Speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Have you always been in the test socket as you default noise margin has been increased to 9dB due to a high level of errors or disconnections
Which version of Netgear router do you have as some of them aren't too good on long lines - the ones which don't have Broadcom chipsets.
Vega
Rising Star

I have the Netgear DGN1000. I originally had it connected to my living room socket. Then the main socket (both sunc'd at around 1800kbps). Now Im connected to the test socket. I noticed on the previous test (above) that it was spiking to 1Mb then shooting right back down to 200Kbs sometimes 100Kbs then spiking up again.. it continued to do this throughout the download test.
My Plus.net Current line speed is 1.5Mb
Here are the BT Test results (attached)

Thanks
Matt
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That router uses an Infineon chipset  Sad although sometimes it works well on long lines
It might be worth trying another router - a 2700HGV or a DG834G v4
The advantage of the DG834G v4 is that you can tweak the noise margin using DMT or Routerstats
You should be able to get at least 3000kbps IP profile
Edit
Link removed as it isn't the right router
Vega
Rising Star

I have a spare DG834G v1 (What I used to use before ADSL2 came out). Will see what I can get out of that.
Thanks for the useful info.
Does v1 have the DMT tweak option?
Matt
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That has an AR7 chipset so no it doesn't
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Vega,
I have changed your profile on our side to 2500 to allow for your BT ip profile of 2138. You should see that change shortly.
Jojo Smiley
Vega
Rising Star

That's better! I can live with that. Roll on FTTC rollout in my town

Thanks Jojo, as usual a star for being so promt  Wink
Matt
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Aw great news, let me know if you need any more assistance Smiley