Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful P2P speeds

bluestinger
Grafter

Awful P2P speeds

Hi,
My P2P speeds are rubbish lately. Well they've always been rubbish but now it's beyond a joke.
Between the hours of midnight/1am until around 5 pm i can get roughly 100kB/s (rubbish considering my connection speed) but from around 5pm until after midnight i'm lucky to get 10kB/s, yes that just 10kB/s. Which is totally unacceptable imo.
I'm nowhere near my monthly 20gb 'paid for' limit so why am i getting such poor speeds?
Cheers!
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Awful P2P speeds

Hi there,
Looking at your account I can see that you aren't currently over your usage allowance. Are the speeds you are seeing a lot lower than the expected speeds at this page?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#Option3speeds
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bluestinger
Grafter

Like i said i get 100kB/s off peak when i should be getting at least 375kB/s (3mb/8 =375kB/s)
And according to the graph i should now be getting 40kB/s and i'm getting 5-10 (320kbps/8=40kB/s)
Now i realise this will drop to 256kbps after 6pm but even then i should still be getting 32kB/s.
So, no basically, i'm not getting anywhere near the speeds i should be.
Cheers!
Laser
Grafter

I use P2P only very rarely, but here's question that has bothered me for a while:
According to the portal traffic graphs, the traffic drops way below capacity after midnight or so. And P2P restrictions are supposed to be lifted during that period. Yet, like bluestinger, I've never managed above about 100KB/s or so after midnight even on a legacy PAYG account. My web downloads sail along at 450-500KB/s. Is overall P2P capacity still capped during off-peak?
The way the portal graphs show it, there is a fixed X GB/s capacity assigned to P2P that does not expand overnight to best utilise the idle bandwidth that we are supposed to be encouraged to use.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Assuming you've not hit any usage limits then apart from on Broadband Plus and BBYW Option 1 there are no rate limits on P2P on the network between midnight and midday and no rate limits at all on P2P on PAYG.
Speeds will be affected by the priority of the traffic and how busy the network is, straight after midnight loads of people start scheduled downloads so speeds may be reduced there but should get faster as the network quietens down. Between around 2am and midnight there's plenty of spare capacity on the network and you should be able to get line speed on P2P assuming of course that the source can provide that speed.
We don't place a maximum amount on how much of the available capacity P2P can use when there's spare capacity available. If enough people were downloading then it could use all the available capacity if needed.
Which P2P client/app are you using? It may be that there are some tweaks that can be done.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology