cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awaiting Activation but Phone is now Playing Up - Rings Once Help...

Rodney
Dabbler

Awaiting Activation but Phone is now Playing Up - Rings Once Help...

Hi there, hoping someone can help.
I am posting this on behalf of my friend who is awaiting activation on the 15th for the Broadband only package.
Since they ordered it they are now having problems with the phone which they have with BT. The phone will ring once for a very short time then cut off with the caller at the other end actually paying for the call even though they can't speak to them!!
They can ring out no problem and the phone was fine before they signed up to Plusnet broadband.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Awaiting Activation but Phone is now Playing Up - Rings Once Help...

It needs to be reported to BT line faults, on 0800800151 (or 0800800154 if it is a business line). Don't mention ADSL...
Rodney
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.
Why is it now a BT line fault? it was working fine before they ordered broadband from plusnet, just seems odd to me.
Should they hide there ADSL bits when they report it as well!?
dick:quote
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Its a BT voice fault because that's who your supplier for the voice calls Is, Just because your about to get Broadband from Plusnet does not mean they are In charge of your phone line, Your phone line supplier Is BT hence why Its them you need to Contact.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Rodney
Dabbler

Ok thanks.
I shall tell them to get BT out then, do they need to hide/don't mention their ADSL equipment though as Jaggies says?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Indeed do as jaggies says and don't mention broadband at all, Its nothing to do with broadband If the line as at fault and It will save BT passing the buck and mucking you around, Just tell them you got a phone line fault, What you described here and leave It at that.
Edit, If BT ask If you have broadband just tell them you don't have any, Because you don't at the moment.
Rodney
Dabbler

Thanks, they are 'silver surfers' and are just starting out so havent a clue to be honest, they ask me to sort it!
Cheers.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Forgot to say but welcome to the forum,
Best of luck and feel free to post back with any further problems, We will be happy to help.
prichardson
Grafter

The advise provided is indeed correct.
Whilst I acknowledge that there is an obvious view that the broadband order may be the cause, there is no evidence of this. It could be the cause, but equally not.
Despite this, even we knew evidentially it was the cause, there is nothing Plusnet, or any other broadband provider can do about this. Phone faults must be reported to the phone provider.
A little reverse example. If BT were to replace the telegraph pole serving the property and suddenly broadband was to have problems, but the line was as clean as a bell. You wouldn't report this to BT, instead you report it to the broadband provider.
The one exception to all this is that voice faults are always the primary fault. If you lose or have problems with both broadband and voice, even if the broadband problems are more severe that the voice, the voice fault should always be reported first. The majority of repairs to voice will repair the broadband too, though that isn't to say that broadband may need to minor follow-up work.
Rodney
Dabbler

I think it has to be to do with the Broadband in my opinion only because they NEVER had any trouble before and it surely would be a massive coincidence to happen now.
They are calling BT about it, just hope they don't have to ring them back!  Grin
Thanks for the welcome chaps  Smiley