cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticated SMTP?

glocal
Rising Star

Authenticated SMTP?

I saw an earlier post where PN say authenticated connections to PN's SMTP server are on the ToDo list. Any update? Sending email when away from home is a PITA at the moment as PN's SMTP server does not relay. Open relays are bad, but how about authentication? If you don't want to use webmail or don't have access to some other SMTP server that will relay your outgoing mail, basically you have a problem.
To pre-empt  the obvious responses, getting the hotel, internet cafe, university etc you are connecting from to give you the details of their own SMTP server usually is not a practical option. Last time I checked, GMail had the annoying habit of changing your From address of all outgoing mail that goes through them (not to mention that some people have privacy concerns and would rather not use Google). Using the authenticated SMTP service of a pay-for service elsewhere would work but we shouldn't have to pay extra for the privilege.
With more people roaming with a laptop or one of the many portable email apps around (eg Thunderbird, The Bat! Voyager, eMailaya), this is becoming more of an issue. Is there really a reason (technical or other) why PN wouldn't implement this some time soon?
Michael
28 REPLIES 28
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Authenticated SMTP?

http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?jv=1&id=203
Nothing new from PN in the past 2 months or so and nothing planned as far as I am aware.
If you have not already voted for this, please do so.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

We do have plans Peter so hopefully you guys shouldn't be waiting too long.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That's good news but …
… updates to and evidence of forward movement on PUGIT Issue 203 and the associated one PUGIT Issue 313 would be appreciated.
For information: the second PUGIT was raised by PlusNet defining three implementation scenarios:
1. SMTP auth for roaming users
2. SMTP auth forced for all users
3. SMTP auth optional for users on our platform
PN commented: "The reasons for doing each are different as are how they would be implemented, although the technology is basically the same.
1. Needs us to put an 'Allow this account to roam' button on the portal so that we don't make SMTP available to dictionary attackers
2. Needs us to educate many thousands of users to change their current mail settings (and would need to be done slowly)
3. Could be done with no impact on users and little development, but the only advantage is that it would reduce support calls to the CSC when people set up their email client with a username and password for relay."
Providing 3 followed by 1 seems to be a sensible way forward.
David
glocal
Rising Star

I think this is long overdue. It should have been implemented ages ago. The current setup is a pain is some cases and this should have been addressed by all ISPs by now. I know there are people who get their own domains and mailboxes hosted by others just for roaming.
Michael
Simpsoid

Any more news?  ETA ?  Or is it done and I missed the announcement ?  (I can hope can't I ?)
I'd like to have authenticated SMTP available so I can send mails from my smartphone.
Cool
chillypenguin
Grafter

Have you tired it?
Use your account details, not those for a mail box.
Chilly
paulby
Grafter

This is something that's working now. 
It was quietly announced in a post over on the Think Broadband forums!
As Chilly says, you'll need to use your member centre login details (i.e. don't tick any boxes that say use same details as incoming server and enter your account user name and password).
Simpsoid

You may all consider my timbers shivered... it works a treat!
After a painful afternoon fighting BlackBerrys (not for me I hasten to add - I'm sticking to my trusty HTC TyYN), I can now end my day with a smile on my face.
Thanks
Smiley Cool Smiley Cool
chillypenguin
Grafter

I am not sure if this is an "official" service, more of  a trial at present.
Chilly
mbeenham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Roll_eyes
Well I just renewed my AuthSMTP subscription for another year because I was told it wasn't available and PN email setups say to disable smtp authentication.
Oh well, its only 12.59 for a year and has proven very reliable.
Bit irritating that this info isn't made available...
chillypenguin
Grafter

If you need a authenticated SMTP service that you can rely upon then it is worth paying for it, or at least until PlusNet make this an official and supported service.
At present it is an unsupported "Easter Egg" that could be pulled at any time without an warning.
Chilly
Ianwild
Grafter

Spot on Chilly - It's working, but we're not ready to shout about it yet  Grin
Ian
Beran
Grafter

Wow, we've been asking for this for years, and finally it seems to be available but we didn't know.
There seems to be some degree of 'secrecy' about this, but can someone tell us what to do? Is there a setting somewhere to turn it on? Maybe someone could PM me if it can't be put in the forum.
We already use ASMTP through a paid provider, so it's only the PlusNet specific bit we need to know.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As posted above, use the same server but your account username and password.
Hope that helps,