cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attenuation increase from 25 to 50

Fifer
Grafter

Re: Attenuation increase from 25 to 50

I think i will wait a bit and see how the connection performs after the IP profile updates.  I don't know any local BT engineers but i can ask around and maybe find someone to do it for me.  The extension i could fit myself as i am fairly competent at DIY, if you could point me to the cable supplier and instructions on how to fit it that would be helpful.
Ron
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Cable and IDC Tool also if you want Cable clips though you could probably get a smaller quantity at a good ironmonger.
Personally I'd get enough cable to do the whole lot. Do your extension & also lay the cable in place from the box in the loft to the master. Then if you feel confident, do it yourself, otherwise very little for a BT man to do, just make the connections.
The cable is twisted pair which is why it's not vulnerable to interference in the way the old cable is. This one is 2-pair. There is 3-pair, but you only need 1 pair, so 2-pair is fine.
The Pair to use is the Blue+white trace and the White+blue trace.  From master to extension the Blue+white trace goes to terminal 2 and the White+blue trace goes on terminal 5. The bell wire you don't use in a Broadband situation, it unbalances the pair and acts like an aerial, otherwise the Orange/white would have gone on 3. You'd use it if you had central filtering, but with plug-in filters they generate their own locally for a phone.
From the box in the loft, the Blue/white would connect to the terminal that has the White incoming (B-wire) and probably has a solid blue colour on it atm. The White/blue trace would go on the terminal with the orange incoming (A-wire) and probably has the orange solid colour on it atm.
At the back of the master, the Blue/white goes to B, and the White/blue to A.
You do not strip the wire, it's pushed down into the IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector) terminal with the tool - never use a screwdriver or similar as it would force the jaws of the terminal open making a bad connection. Old wires you just pull vertically out of the terminal.
HTH, ask away if I've missed something or you aren't sure of something.
Fifer
Grafter

Thanks, i think i should be able to do this myself but if i am stuck with anything i will certainly ask.
Your help and advice is much appreciated.
Ron
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No problem.