cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attenuation has increased with different router

Mav
Fixes: 514

Attenuation has increased with different router

I've had to replace my DG834G v3 router as there was an intermittent wireless problem (it would lose wireless connectivity and only a soft or hard reset would fix it).
I managed to get a v5 from Ebay which, after a few problems trying to connect (would sync but not connect) all seems OK except that the attenuation has jumped from 46 to 50. I have previously used two other Thompsons as supplied by PN and the attenuation has always been 46.
I have installed the latest firmware (V1.6.01.34).
Stats below.
Can anyone suggest a possible reason why the attenuation should increase and whether that is indicative of a possible issue/problem.
Thanks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Attenuation has increased with different router

Quote from: Mav
Can anyone suggest a possible reason

Yes, put simply different routers measure it in different ways.  Cool
As you may know ADSL uses a very wide band of frequencies (tones) and the attenuation is different for each.
It purely depends what and where the router measures and whether, for example it takes a "middle" or typical tone or averages and if so over what.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Thanks HPsauce.
So, based on what you're saying do I assume that, because it has been calculated differently, I will sync lower due to the higher attenuation or is the sync rate adjusted somehow to compensate for the difference in the way it's been calculated?
In other words, would I be better off sourcing another v3 DG834G or stick with what I have now?
Bear in mind that it has been stable for some time at around the 5500 mark.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

No, none of that. It's just an "after the fact" calculation, doesn't affect anything.