Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atrocious speeds this morning

SparckZero
Grafter

Atrocious speeds this morning

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing atrocious speeds today? Last night my connection was fine, however this morning everything is running extremely slowly. I have just run a BT Speedtest which came out at 62kbps - it's usually at 6500kbps+ (I'm syncing at 8128kbps/832kbps).
I've tried hopping gateways, rebooting the router and hooking directly into the master socket - still no joy. Given that the sync-rate is fine, I'm guessing it's something at the exchange side of things (I can't imagine it's PlusNet's end, as I'm sure the forums would be ablaze! Wink )
I also tried following the next step on the speedtester (changing username to bt_test_user@plusdsl.net etc.), however this didn't seem to work.
Any thoughts / suggestions welcome - I'm on the East Leake (EMESTLE) exchange.
Cheers!
14 REPLIES 14
SparckZero
Grafter

Re: Atrocious speeds this morning

Update: decided to raise a speed fault as the problem hasn't corrected itself during the day. Let's see what happens!
SparckZero
Grafter

Another update: just ran another BT Speedtest which got my hopes up, as it came out at over 2500kbps - then I realised I'd left my mobile internet dongle in, and it had gone through that. I didn't even realise this was possible!  Grin
SparckZero
Grafter

Update: problem has persisted overnight. I've got no idea what's going on at all...checked with neighbours this morning and their ADSL is all fine...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 7 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 832 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's an impressive result... I'm just running a quick one shot check line test now, as soon as that's done I'll be getting this raised to BT for you.
SparckZero
Grafter

Thanks Matt. Smiley
Some further background information for you: the problem occured overnight between Saturday and Sunday. Absolutely nothing has changed at my end, so I've got no idea what's happened. mybroadbandspeed.co.uk won't even load on the connection, however I was able to run the speedtest.net app on my android phone (hooked up to the wifi) - this registered an equally pathetic download speed, however the upload speed appeared to be fine Shocked
SparckZero
Grafter

Matt,
Has any action been taken on this? Just run another BT Speedtest which has come out at a more respectable 6371kbps. Connection now appears to be normal...again, nothing has changed at my end.
Looks like my ticket was taken off hold early, so maybe BT poked something? Smiley
Cheers,
-Paul
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Sounds similar to a problem I had, turned out after PN sent it to BT it was a VP problem, still waiting for it to get sorted though.
Mand
Grafter

Hmmm, the notes on the fault seem to be a little strange (one says that there's no fault, the other says the fault is fixed).  Undecided
Is it sorted now from your point of view?
SparckZero
Grafter

Hi Mand,
Browsing, e-mail etc. seems to be fine (speedtests are back to normal too) - however, I'm still having some Xbox Live issues (it's running extremely slowly, and I can't seem to connect to any games - normally it's fine at this time of night). Running a few tests now to try and figure out what's going on...will report back ASAP.
Thanks for taking a look - out of interest, does it mention what the fault was? Or do BT not provide that level of detail? Smiley
Mand
Grafter

As I say, the notes are a little contradictory. I'd need to call them to find out the finer details (I can do that tomorrow if need be).
The next step is going to be an engineer if we reject the fixed status, which indicated they haven't found anything immediately obvious.
Have you rebooted since the speeds returned?
SparckZero
Grafter

Mand,
I have indeed - I've just rebooted again in an attempt to cure the Xbox Live problem. Previously I was on an "unknown" gateway, then PCL-AG03, and now PCL-AG01 - all have the same problem. I can connect to Xbox Live, however when I fire up Modern Warfare 2 it takes an age to update the playlist / unlock information, and then it won't let me join any games. The rest of my connection appears to be functioning as normal, so I'm not too sure what's up.
I'm about to head out for the evening, however I'll do some further tests when I return and let you know the outcome. Thanks for following up on this! Smiley
SparckZero
Grafter

Matt / Mand,
Still having Xbox Live issues, although I'm almost certain it's router related. The Xbox complains about incorrect MTU settings and ICMP response errors - I've had this problem before with this router, but I can never remember what causes it - the problem just seems to appear and then vanish randomly. Unfortunately I've had to hand the other router I was using to test back to it's owner, however I'll try and get a hold of it again this afternoon so that I can confirm.
Apologies for the delay in getting this information back to you - I'll let you know the result ASAP. Smiley
SparckZero
Grafter

Matt / Mand,
All fixed. Turns out that the Netgear DG834G appears to view Xbox Live as a DOS attack source Grin I've disabled DOS protection on the router, and everything appears to be fine. I'd reset my router to factory settings as part of my tests, and I guess I just forgot to disable the DOS protection again.
I'll go ahead and close the support ticket - many thanks for your swift help and perserverence in this matter. I never begrudge paying you guys each month - and quality service like this is the reason why! Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear you got it sorted Smiley I'll remember that happens just in case I see anything like this in future. If there's anything else we can help with let us know.